readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

The Forgotten Ones - Laura   Howard Who would’ve thought that New Adult Contemporary could be well mixed with Fantasy?

The Forgotten Ones, started with a complete contemporary feel to it introducing us to our main character Allison with a schizophrenic mother, living with her grandparents, have a load of friends and a huge but hidden likeness to one of her guy friends - a definite contemporary feel right? Up until a new guy came and a whole lot of other mysterious things happen and the fantasy part starts.

This is a story about faeries. I may have read a book or two about faeries but I honestly cant remember any of it (I'll do a quick recap of the books I've read at some time and see), but I could say that I like the world building of this book. I love the mystery, the magical world full of mystique and wonder and danger. I love how the magical people were made - they’re all beautiful yet dangerous and powerful. It was easy to go through the D'naan world; the gloomy feel to it was super fit to the whole plot.

This story does not have a huge group of characters at first - before the fantasy part begins and the fairies start being introduced we also got to know Allison's friends and family; giving us the feel of the normal world before we were warped into another one.

As a daughter who has to take care of her schizophrenic mother, Allison is extremely mature and felt like a real person. She is very dedicated not only to her friends and family but also on her work and studies. The very good thing I like about her is the fact that even though she has a love interest in the form of Ethan, her world does not revolve around him. Even though we get to see her balance her family, work, studies and personal life it just all prove that she is one strong of character.
Ethan was also great. He's cocky and sassy but also sweet and very much understanding of Allison’s problems.

Individually, Ethan and Allison were good but together? I just don’t know. Well, the chemistry was definitely there but sometimes their connection is just not there – it feels non-existent most of the times. Yes, they have their sweet and joking moments but everything left me with nothing to hold on to.

The other struggle I have in reading this was the Gaelic names of the fairy characters. I really like the Irish descent and it was fun and unique but honestly, I had a hard time remembering and pronouncing the names!

In all, The Forgotten Ones is a good read - fantasy and romance mixed into one. I'm pretty much interested on what would happen next with the story and its characters. Will definitely look forward to the next book!

*Copy kindly provided for review*
*Blog Tour deets posted at Reads and Thoughts.