readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Echo - Alicia Wright Brewster Ten days, four hours, twenty-one minutes.
Until the end of the world - as the vision says.
She has never known any talent and was so confused as to why the council was summoning her.
They wanted another chance at taking good care of their planet and their people. Maybe - just maybe Ashara is the hope for it all.

---

Interested would describe how I felt upon reading the blurb of this book but as I go along with it and finished the first 10 pages - that's where the feeling of lost and confusion starts to pave its way into me. BUT I'll get to my woes later and I'll kick this review off with the things that makes Echo make its mark on me.

First, I'm really fascinated with the way people with abilities are grouped here (they’re called practitioners)! The people are grouped are as follows: Breather (air manipulator), Ethereal (ether manipulator), Mover (earth manipulator), Bender (metal Manipulator), Burner (fire manipulator) and Flooder (water manipulator) - the idea was so creative for me at the same time interesting it makes the reading more Dystopian-ish.

The characters are so real. From Ashara to Loken to lovable Rey even the other goody-shoe practitioners who are with them - they’re all easy to go along with. Strong-willed would best describe this group of people; they’re all focused individual focused on doing their jobs; saving the world and people they love.

There are no dramas! (Thank Goodness for that!) It's full of action and bang after bang. Just when I think the end would pave its way into the story - no it would turn into another corner and the story would go on. I like the creative idea of having a rewind like button which the elders on the story do to solve the end of the world problems they encounter.
Have any of you guys seen the movie In Time? Well, for certain reasons that movie reminds me of the world here in Echo.

I appreciate that the story development left of the typical way most story come off where we get to know first the world and everything about it and the people living in it, but here in Echo the author immediately jumped into it from the get go. Yes, the world would end in 10 days so no point in dilly-dallying around right? BUT the con to this side is that it tends to confuse me as I go along into my reading. Facts and stuffs are mentioned since the story kicked off but I totally can't understand any of it - they just didn’t make sense at all so I spend the whole way through it wondering what those are all about.

Confusion became the main problem for me here; Confusion over the vision, rewind stuff, the elders and Ashara’s father's involvement and her potent power and mage-magnet body. I’m so confused over a lot of things that the only thing I'm certain about is that Ashara is different and more powerful than any of them and that the timeline things makes it different for her.

Anyhow, it is a journey to a new world of powers, revenge, hope, redemption and second chance. Echo is another creative story that would surely hook your Dystopian hearts. ;)

*Advanced copy kindly provided for review*
*Blog Tour deets posted at Reads and Thoughts.