readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Deadly Kisses (Book One of the Deadly Darkness Trilogy) - Kerri Cuevas As I start writing this review, I suddenly had this funny thought:
There is already a book where the protagonist has a lethal touch and it’s one of those best-selling stories and now I get to read another story where the protagonist has another lethal power – a lethal kiss.
What’s next? Lethal hug? Lethal pinch? Lethal sneeze? Lethal belch or stuff like that? : D Just trying to lighten the mood a little. Now on to the review…

Regrets are expected for us humans.
We regret a thing that we have done and that’s how someone becomes a Grim Reaper by holding on entirely to those regrets.

Aiden Grant was happy being a Grim Reaper for the past two years. He did what he wanted, had a boss that texted him the job that he needed at the same time liked to do. Until the major reaping test pave its way to him.

To reap the soul of the only girl he has ever loved.
Would it all go smoothly as the other reaping that he did or would it all go down hill? Especially when one kiss from him could kill her and that very same girl sees Grim Reapers like him.

"Loving you has been a dangerous game when one kiss could kill."

Deadly Kisses presented to us a world where Grim Reapers pretty much roam our world. I love the way the author presents to us a world where it’s so unrealistic yet so fun to read - the Grim Reapers with their gondolas, cell phones, bosses, repearlings and other extra curricular activities such as clubbing. The world of the Grim Reapers easily swallowed me in.

Aiden Grant - does his name sound so cool and handsome? ;) He's a great voice to the story - he has this quirky, smart-ass and sarcastic attitude. Despite being dead and being a Grim Reaper he's seems to be just another ordinary boy.

The best thing about reading this is the balance between the story itself, the love story plus the thrilling action that waits to you all. There is the mystery, a bit of romance, action, and surprises. The way those are combined is great.

But despite the good things I was just a bit confused because I noticed that there are times that some dialogues seemed to be cut off. Each chapter transition leaves me confused because I'm used to them continuing how the other chapter ended but here after a chapter ended the next one seemed to jump off somewhere else which I really find weird. There are also instances that I do get confused with who is speaking some dialogues for there is not enough distinction as to who is really speaking. Some stuff weren’t just really clear which leads me to epic confusion as to what really happened!

The ending - there would be a sequel! You know how a lot of people hate cliffhangers but I'm telling you here that there is a definite ending for this book though I know there should be more to look forward too on the next installment to this series.

Honestly, I started reading this with a slacked off attitude so I'm really out of tuned as I read the first few pages then it went okay then some lag time and then the interesting parts starts to come and I can't stop my grip till the end.. Thinking back, I think I did enjoy reading it for it was a fun, engaging and fast paced read. You would surely enjoy the Grim Reaper world created here.

*Copy kindly provided for review*
*Blog Tour deets posted at Reads and Thoughts.