readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Happenstance (A Second Chance, #1) - M.J. Abraham
HAPPENSTANCE: the fact that something good happens because of certain circumstances although it happened coincidentally, accidentally, unintended or by chance.

Nothing at all is guaranteed. Circumstances, shit, stuffs and life happen.
Victoria is off to start over in a new place - after finding and seeing her husband cheating - for a new life. But never did she expect to run over into a puppy rush him into the vet and collide with the handsome and sexy Dr. Owens.

Happenstance is honestly an easy, breezy and smooth read. In its shortness, the story tackles every side that needs to be known and it’s just plainly good and great. The story has different aspects from love, family and traumatic experiences and each one of those are given enough presence in the story. One doesn’t overbear with the other. Each of these aspects is well tackled and given attention to in the story. It was well-written and the alternating POV's gives us a better understanding between the two characters.

The characters are well-casted.
Jared Owens (though he's really too good to be true but since were in fiction-landia I'll continue with it) is one determined guy. He's determined in helping people and animals and getting what he wanted. But he has this weird contradicting personality that makes me scratch my head - one time he's the nice thoughtful and trustful guy and suddenly at one moment he tends to be overprotective and possessive. Oh, but one thing I really really really like about him is his cool collection of statement shirts! I want to snag each one hilarious shirt that he wears. haha.

Victoria is living in her own way trying to cope things up after her divorce but since then she became this cautious lady at the same time super stubborn. Victoria also have her own collection but unlike Jared her collection are shoes and shoes and shoes and her philosophy that "With the right shoes, women can conquer the world" is really suiting to her. As I'm reading this, I was under the impression that Victoria is the type of lady that doesn’t want to be told what to do but when Jared came and cracks her walls, she starts to listen to him and the good thing on Jared's part is that he doesn’t act as the dominant guy over this He understand where Victoria is coming from, he takes things slowly. She's too stubborn for her own good and Jared is also too stubborn to let her go and that’s why they really do compliment one another.

Happenstance is not only about those lovey-dovey stuffs between Jared and Victoria. There is a very touchy subject - a traumatic experience that Victoria experienced first hand (and I'm not talking about her divorce). That sad event opens up our mind to what to do if such things happen and how to take action to it and know your rights. It’s indeed heavy but the good thing is that that issue didn’t overbear the other aspects of the story.

I really can’t say anything negative about it but maybe a little bit more of angst could be put into the story because it feels like it was still on its comfort zone and just too good to true and maybe I'm just craving for a little more of something but despite that it was still good. It was well written, characters are good and the story is very likeable as it is This is the author's debut novel and I'm surely looking forward for more from her. :)

*Advanced copy kindly provided for review*
*Blog Tour deets posted at Reads and Thoughts.