readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Playing at Love - Ophelia London
Second Chances are rare and are gained. Second chances happen for a reason and that second chance might be a better start and a better way than the first...

Tess and Jackson met each other one summer of their teens, but on a very important night Jack stood up and left Tess and she still hold that memory up to this very moment. After years, Jack came back to her life -not to be with Tess- but to be the new football coach to the school where' she’s the choir teacher. Sparks fly instantly then they realize they do know each other and cross paths before. Now, they’re against each other to save their jobs and also the likes of their students. They shouldn’t get involved but there’s this thing about them. As their deadline date comes they should both choose what’s more important –winning the school thing or falling in love.

---

The synopsis easily sold me. It really got me curious and besides it’s about second chances and I’m a sucker for that. Good thing, I requested this for review and wow I really liked it! The concept was great and though it may seem basic to some, reading this seems like a breathe of fresh air for me.

Tess' character is genuine and she's pretty much easy to read - what you see is what you get. It's easy to know when she's happy or when something is bothering her. She loves her job and the thrill of teaching and waiting her students perform and in this story that characteristic was potently shown. I can't blame her for being skittish when she saw Jack once again because I really do feel the pain and betrayal she felt even after all those years.

Jack is one honest and good man. I really like how he man-up and shown to Tess that what he did during the past was wrong. He’s a very responsible man now and a great coach to his team.

Jack and Tess are meant for each other. That's what I though the first moment they stumble once again with each other. I love their past story but also the present one where they get to know each other as adults and just hang-out. I can’t help but feel nostalgic about them. The story of their past was pretty sweet for me. But I think that’s also the part that was missing for me on this story. Though they relate what happened during then, I just want to see more. I want to know how they fall in love and stuffs like that. A little detailed flashback story wouldn’t hurt. ;)

The plot line of the story was fast but still much engaging. The conflict to the story has a very tight grip on me. It really keeps me hanging’ on it. I can't help but think of possible things that would happen. Since it’s sort of like a competition between Jack and Tess' groups I can’t help but think how they could handle that and since I hate complications my mind also starts working on how these two would solve their problem. Things popped into my mind and man! None of them was right.

In all, it was one enjoyable story. The characters are very engaging and interesting. The romance was very sweet and the plot line was all too hooking and entertaining to read and even the dialogues and banter between the characters are very funny. Things packed up nicely and the second chance did work for both Tess and Jack. Well done! :)

PS. I hosted a Guest Post with the author which tackles behind the scenes of the story. Please do check it out here

*Advanced copy kindly provided for review*
*Blog Tour deets posted at Reads and Thoughts.