readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Virtuosity - Jessica Martinez A pretty interesting triangle:
A girl, a boy and the violin.

I really don't have any connection with instruments of any kind. I love listening to music but that's it - I don’t know how to make and read it. I don’t know why I never learned. Sigh. Virtuosity is a simple story that is very inspiring and affecting. It has romance, struggles and determination. Yes, it has the makings of a very predictable story but it was overall interesting.

Our protagonist - Carmen is unique, different and very much easy to understand. She is far from normal because of her day to day norms and her extreme talent in playing the violin. Her shyness and struggle with stage frights was both enjoyable and empathic to see. Her development thru the story was well described and handles greatly by the author.

Carmen has a pretty interesting relationship with her mom a relationship that left me baffled. At first, I have a gut feel that Diana might not be treating her good but after a couple of chapters, I find myself understanding Diana but after another chapters or so I finally see the darkest side of her - a side that holds the leash to her daughter making me realize another awesome thing the author did on the story which is making the step-parent the loving and understanding one. It was really endearing to see Carmen's step-father be the loving and caring one because mostly step-parents come as evil as they can get on some stories right.

Jeremy was charmingly awkward. He enters the story as very reserved and confident but as we go one his vulnerable side starts to come out. He's not only a great competition for Carmen but also a great love interest.

Virtuosity's plot is as simple as we can get but the author has this certain way that gives the readers and adrenaline rush, throwing plenty of surprises and twists and tunes. The path on the way to the completion is where all the fuss happened and I really mean a lot and every single one of it leaves me at the edge of my seat. I love the unpredictability of it.

The ending was a bit open but its good to see that the author leaves both the characters in a good place leaving us readers to think how these two would’ve ended.

Virtuosity is not simply about music or achieving success thru it. It’s about a strong-willed girl shaking off her naiveté giving in to confidence and growing up. It was a simple tugging story!