readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Left Drowning - Jessica Park
She was left drowning to the tragic memory of her parents.
He was left drowning to the tragic memory his past.
And they we're both struggling to breathe…

Would you all consider me a loser if I tell you I don’t know how to skip stones? It's really a shame that I ever really learned how to do it despite my yearly visit to beaches every summer. However, this book gives a chapter that I liked to call 'The Skipping Stone Tutorial’ this is a chapter where you would learn how to do it with a very hot guy as your personal tutor. Hmm.. Are you now interested to learn? *wink*

Left Drowning provoked a good and strong sense of emotional surge in me. I really appreciate the author's way to convey a story with a strong emotional pull. I felt each and every emotional journey of the characters - from soaring heights of love, grief, loss and eventually healing. I'm not really one of those who are in too overly dramatic and angsty stories and I actually thought this story might be in that page but I was surprised that despite those being present the overall writing makes up for it.

Somehow, reading this reminds me as I was reading Hopeless. Why? Well, maybe because I was left on the edge of my seat waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting and predicting for something to happen.

The characters - Blythe, Chris, Sabin, James, Estelle and Eric are all each part of the puzzle that makes up this story. Each of them has their own distinct qualities but despite all that they have one common thing - they we’re all messed up. The story shows how each of them coped with their haunting pasts. They were absolutely flawed in the most perfect way.

There are no words to describe my love for the Shepherd siblings! Estelle and her beauty and assurance and confidence and of course her giant purse that I wanted to steal, Erik with his silent but heartwarming gestures and Sabin with his exuberance and charm. I know I'm not the only one but Sabin is the one that definitely left a great mark on me. From the first moment he stole Blythe's coffee all through the hard parts of the story. I wanted to have him as my best friend! I really really liked the fact that he's the best friend of Blythe here and lets all be honest its not always that we get the ’girl-and-boy best friend relationship that are plain platonic. It's like a breath of fresh air.

I admit I was frustrated most of the time with Chris and Blythe's crazy relationship - with their on and off scheme add up to this are the ridiculous decisions that the characters made and the never ending uncertainties and miscommunications. But the very most redeeming this about these frustrations is that it makes the ending all worth while. And let me say this for once: Every coincidence that happened on this book are freakin' awesome! I might have predicted a thing or two of the secrets and revelations but it still surprised me at the end. Everything was nicely packed at the end - every connection and revelations were brilliantly written.

It was a beautifully told story. From the not-so-perfect characters and everything that went along with it. The twisting journey of frustration is definitely worth it!