readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Jane's Melody - Ryan Winfield I was hesitant to read this book. For one, I'm never really into stories with characters having an amount of age gap, it feels so dramatic and maybe the high ratings would not live up to what I was expecting. Well, guess what, I'm happy to say that my hesitations turned as definite pros into reading Jane's Melody.

Who would have guessed that a silver dollar minted in 1973 could intertwine the lives of people?

Love, alcoholism, loss and moving on - Jane's Melody gives us a definite gut-wrenching and deep and touching story. The premise was all original and I never really know where the story would take me which is really awesome, I think!

A mother losses her daughter. Meeting a guy whom she felt like the last link to the daughter she had lost long before she died seems to be her new hope. He gives her a new reason to continue living, helped her move on and lives again.
For once.

Jane lost too much - she's broken and drowning in emotional pain. From the get go, we all get to see the darkest of the darkest of her. I honestly felt the pain and grief. Yes, she made stupid decisions through the middle of the story but overall she’s a very likeable character with no qualms about anything - she's as simple as you can get. By the end of all, it was really good to see her transform into this new person who is stronger and more alive. As much as it’s painful to say, it seems like she had to lose a lot of things before she really find her own self.

Caleb is the slow-paced type of character. His character offers a great mysterious effect to the story linking him with Jane's dead daughter. I was hesitant with him at first, well with Jane’s vulnerability and too much kindness I fear that he would take advantage of her and simply leave her but he proved me so wrongly about it. What started as rubbing me off as a not so good impression of him, he slowly crept up to me until he reached that comfortable feel with me. He proved that he's as genuine and great as he is from the start. His sweetness and ability to know the right thing to say or do at the right time is a great addition too.

The depths of the pain of the characters are pretty evident throughout the story. I find myself flinching to every thing that happened and revealed. It was really bitter-sweet story.

My hesitation in reading this because of the age-gap definitely leaves my mind as I read it coz honestly most of the time I forgot that Jane and Caleb are not on the same age team. Jane wasn’t the type of girl who was trying to act up younger to fit in with Caleb and Caleb on the other hand, I think was just a great fit for her with all the maturity he carried with him. Both of them we're aware of the age gap but me I forgot it most of the time. Their relationship was greatly built that the age thing could be easily forgotten.

The setting for the story is also very suitable. I love the exclusivity of the island where Jane lives. Maybe I'll visit that too. (Now, I have a long list of places to visit when I landed myself in the United States soon. ;) )

Oh and before I forgot, If I never did saw that picture of the author on the page of the book I never would’ve thought this was written by a guy. Honestly, I never know it was written buy a guy until I reached the last page and saw his picture. But honestly, he did a great job in conveying a grieving woman’s perspective, his ideas were awesome and he definitely wowed. I will be looking forward to his next works.

Jane's Melody flowed smoothly. I enjoyed every bitter sweet page of it. It made me laugh, smile feel loved and cry a tiny bit. Yes, there is drama but it all worked great for me and it really did reached what I was expecting!