readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

The Story Guy - Mary Ann Rivers STORYGUY : A good guy with a bad story doing something stupid.

The thing about novellas is that for a very short work of art it is packed with a great story and emotional turnover that would definitely left you wanting for more and Story Guy is no different than the other novellas coz it indeed left its one of a kind mark to me.

I will meet you on Wednesdays at noon in Celebration Park. Kissing only.

If I was the one who found an advertisement like this how would I feel? I would definitely feel curios but at the same time there’s this sense of comical reaction. Comical sense in a way that makes me thinks that it was a very desperate move from someone looking for a hookup. I mean, people do hook-ups but is he that desperate? But the greatest thing would be the feel of curiosity; to be honest the ad was indeed mesmerizing. The words used and the way it was constructed was really captivating.

Luckily, I’m not on that place for I don’t really know how to react and as for our character – Carrie who is longing to find a relationship like her friends has, this ad just might be her last hope. With all her friends laying low planning their life out with their partners, she started to feel the pressure and even though answering and ad such as that isn’t on her norm - what could be so wrong in trying?

I think, Brian carries this whole story. He’s our story guy. I know, he may seem like any other fictional guy out there who’s also a story guy, but I find a certain vulnerability with him that really makes me admire his character. He’s looking for an escape in every hating that is happening to his life. He's awkward, responsible and selfless. He offers no other personal thing with Carrie, not even his last name. I almost came to the point of really hating him for throwing away the spark and the thing that he and Carrie has but once our story guy's story was told it really tugged my heartstrings and made me understands more of him. His obligations interfere with his personal life so seeing him mingle with Carrie every Wednesdays and just simply living his life seem to make him forget everything bad the world would offer and has served him.

The first meeting melted my heart. I was surprised how the author expressed that first meeting - it feels so good to watch two strangers dive into something as like this one. I really like how the whole story played out and how it was told.

The Story Guy is a novella that you should definitely try. It started a bit on the slow side but it will definitely pick up. It was simple, sweet and heart tugging.