readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West Yay! Another summer romance read for me. It was way past summer here in Manila but I know summer is just about so start in other countries and I think my timeline is with them what with me reading endless summer reads for the past couple of days. Anyhoo, this is my first novel by Kasie West, the cover really hooked me - just saying - and aside from the creepy doll house and the rich-boy poor girl relationship that the blurb suggest, I don’t know what really to expect about this. And fortunately, the very good side for summer romance read is that it offers a story that is not too complicated.

I love Caymen! I think we could be the best of friends! She's too sarcastic for her own good and her dry sense of humor rocks! People might think it was weird but she carries it all out, she rocked her sarcastic nature exceptionally! I was honestly hesitant to her character at first, but I overall admire her. She doesn’t harbor great feeling for the rich people, not because she and her mom was barely struggling on their own but because her rich dad left her mom pregnant and paid her off to keep her mouth shut plus her rich grandparents disinherited her mom upon knowing the news - so you really can’t blame her right? There is a root for all those feelings.

There are two types of people in our small beach town: the rich and the people who sell things to the rich. Apparently.

The came Xander - he's filthy rich; the heir to a famous hotel chains. But the very good thing about him is that he has a great charming personality. He's not arrogant because of his life status he acts normally, he's sweet and dreamy. As he interacts with Caymen, I sometimes forgot that he's that rich because he pretty much acts so normal whenever when he's with Caymen.
Following the story was really fun; the plot was cute and pretty much easy to read. I enjoyed the author's way of writing and easily get the hang of it.

Flaws I see through the story was the presence of Cody - Caymen's other love interest. Well, I really don’t consider him a love interest coz Caymen never did show any intent with him other than being friends so I guess his character was pretty much pointless.

I also wanted to see more depth with our characters for it seems like we only get to see sides of them whenever they’re together. I wanted to see Caymen at school and even Xander with his family and his school and other stuff he does.

The ending though didn’t do much justice as to how much I enjoy Xander and Caymen's story. It was a bit rushed for my taste - I guess I wanted to see an aftermath. An epilogue would be nice. I wanted to see Xander handling the hotels and what would be the future of the doll store.

In all, The Distance Between Us is a great summer or even an everyday read with a good story, good characters and epic humor.