readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Broken at Love - Lyla Payne They were both a jumble of broken pieces.
When circumstances winds them up in each other the tension and attraction is undeniable. But there are secrets and changes that couldn’t be easily made.
Would they end up still a jumble of broken pieces or will they finally find the way into fixing up those broken pieces?

---

At this moment, I already read my fair share of New Adult books. Some of them blew me away, some I like and some other I don’t even know what to say. Most of the books I've read from that genre have the same plot line that goes like 'girl-meets-bad boy-guy has issues-girl try to change him-then happily ever after'. Some or most of them goes along that way right? Broken at Love didnt go far from that way in fact it falls right into that path but what makes it different from the others are the bumps, turns and rocks encountered along the way.

I'll kick this off by saying that the dedication part of this book was cool and it goes along like this:

"For Chuck Bass, Andy Roddick, and Damon Salvatore - the good-hearted, smart-ass bad boys who inspire us all."

Cutie and relevant dedication because the protagonist Quinn Rowland is the same as the guys mentioned on that part - 'the smart-ass bad boys'. He is the king of games - he wins it and never quits until he did. He's a very complex beautiful broken guy whom girls fall head over heels in love with. At first sight, I know I would be one of those who would easily succumb to his charms but after reading a few more chapters and I realize the stuffs that he does with his friends I become hesitant and I hate what he and his friends do to those females. But as the story progress and I get to see glimpses of his true identity my walls starts to crumble and I begin to understand him. He is the guy who doesn’t have anyone to support him, love him or stay for him. His father blames him for his mother's departure to nowhere and treats him and his ideas like a joke. With that kind of life lived he began to push people away thinking no one deserved to be with him because he's really not worth it. I feel a lot of things with him along the way - I feel hatred, sadness and a bit of happiness.

Emilie Swanson - sweet, innocent and the type of girl our guy stays away from. She's the only one who becomes aware of Quinn and his friends' games. I know she's not the stupid girl here. Since walking into the threshold of Quinn's place for the party she know what she's up to and she's not stupid enough to succumb to the charms Quinn was putting on but he did affect her though and she affect him too. She sees glimpses of the real Quinn Rowland and she holds on to those tiny glimpses that maybe a guy like him could still change - she believes in good things in that very way.

The games created by the boys here are bad and very unforgiving! It involves tennis tournaments, girls and feelings. They’re using girls to pass up their games and toss them aside like bad pieces of bread at the first sign of attachments. It’s a game for them but a very hard thing for the girls who become their victims.

A story with two very strong characters; A story about fixing each other's broken pieces, conquering your own fears and living in the moment. New Adult lovers should pick this one up!

*Thanks to the author for kindly providing advance the copy for review.*