readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Faking It - Cora Carmack And the Angry girl meets the Golden boy...

Max is broken, patched and missing pieces. She's living a life where the ghost of the past still haunts her and her parents and music is the only thing that keeps her sane. Tattoos, piercings and dyed hair is not the it for her parents. Their upcoming visit might be the crash down of her secrets.

Cade is an MFA student and a volunteer. He fights for what he wants but losing too much tells him that it’s better to just let go. Until he became Max's twenty-four-hour, pretend-we-met-in-a-library, golden-boy-boyfriend, that's when he started fighting again. And hopefully, he doesn't lose.

They're faking it. Then they're more than Faking it.

----

A girl ask a boy to pretend to be her boyfriend for a few days...

In simplicity, that's the premise of the story and as exciting and as simple as it may seem the story has a lot of hidden depths within it. Yes, the story went to the place where I know it was heading and it’s quite predictable at times but the way the story was told with moments of laughter and awkwardness everything seems to go smoothly. The author's way of mixing the dark and stressful side of the story was brilliant. The story has its own moments from the happy ones, the awkward, and serious and the touching ones.

For the past couple of days or reads that I've been to, I harbor this certain fascination with guys that come off as an underdog and the heroine being the aggressive one. Though bad-boy-with-good-girls are still okay but there is something more exciting if the positions are reversed just like with Cade and Max.

Cade and Max are two characters who have totally opposite personalities but the undeniable attraction, awkward situations that put them together is what makes their story catchier. They made a great couple for the fact that their totally opposite personalities complement each other.

I do like bad-boy type of guys in stories, admit it or not they make us feel safe or even super 'kilig' with their possessiveness or other redeeming qualities but good guys those are the keeper types - they gives us another type of journey in a story just like Cade. From the heart-broken boy to a heartthrob it’s nice seeing Cade once again faces a new phase of his life. After succumbing to the loss and heartache he decides to embark on a new stage of his life and watching him go throughout it is surely worth it all. Could this guy get more selfless? More perfect? Sigh. In, Losing It I didn’t quite pay attention and fall swoony over Cade for I’m overly fascinated with the English Drama Professor but I know for a fact there that Cade face a heap of hurt.

Max is the girl with the edgy stupor that made people thinks that she’s all independent, harsh and mean but for her it’s all just a mask. Behind it she’s hiding a deeper personality. I have no doubt that someone like her could be the great partner for Cade. Yes, she’s the complete opposite of what Cade thought he wanted or liked in a girl but in a whole other sense, she’s definitely what he needed.

Faking It is another great addition to this series by the author. I would surely look forward for a lot more from this author - for the next companion level with Kelsey and Garrick's novella.