readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Just One Song - Stacey  Lynn Stories like this one is nothing new if you're an avid New Adult reader like myself, you'll get the idea of a very weak heroine being saved by a strong (mostly handsome, rock star guys) guy that would make her happy and they'll live happily ever after fighting all their battles. Just One Song never did fall out from that line though - it was familiar yet something about it would make you stick with it through the end.

When I read, its so usual for me to get first impressions as I start and further ones as I go along with my reading but I guess this is the first time that I get a chance to subdivide my thoughts into three equal impressions or stages:

First Impression:
Wow! The cover is gorgeous! It reminds me of that certain time that I get a chance to visit Seoul. The book description looks so promising. This is going to be Exciting!

First Half of Reading:
Sympathy. That's the most potent feeling that I get as I get to know Nicole. The sudden turn of events that life brought to her was so devastating. People see her as the ‘26 year old widow and a parent of a dead child.'. Her loneliness and sadness as a character was as potent as I first met her. She feel like she's being tossed back and forth between wanting to have her old life back, wanting to move on, wanting to be happy again and wanting to hold on to everything she used to have even though its not possible anymore.

Then she met rock star Zack Walters (how could authors come up with names that are so hot and very rocker-ish?!) He saw something with Nicole and that certain thing pushed him to spend time and get to know her and with that he became her personal calm above all the nightmare she experience.

I enjoyed the easiness of their relationship. The little glances, visits and struggles they both have. I know they indeed fall in love here.

PAUSE.
This is where some of my doubts surfaced.

How convenient would it be that the keyboardist of Zack's band is a little drug-addict who spends his time hitting the stones rather than practicing with the band THEN suddenly we get to know that Nicole did know how to play the keyboard brilliantly that she can play it by ear? How convenient is that? Hmm.

Last Half Of Reading:
Nicole finally had her goodbye with Andrew and Mark and accepted that she could finally live her own life once again. I'm genuinely happy about this scenario in fact its one of my favorite but the next parts that comes is what makes me pave off. The last half of the story reminds me a LOT of scenes from other books that I've read.

The story of Nicole was indeed powerful. That is the main thing that holds this story. It’s that very idea that makes it different from the other – If only the story did give us a chance to know Drew and Mark even though it would be heartbreaking could’ve been great.

When things seemed to settle, I know something would still come up. Something drastic and I’m not mistaken about it! But honestly, that little spin off was sorry to say, so off for me.

The relationship between Nicole's best friend Mia and Zack's band member Chase reminds me of Griffin and Anna from the Thoughtless series.

The little villainess Rachel reminds me of the character Lauren from Love Unrehearsed. Their obsessive ways with the guy on the story is very similar!

As I have said to my other reviews, New Adult stories nowadays doesn’t really go way too different from the other ones but its in the way the story was presented that we readers get to see the difference but with Just One Song I fail to see the something different from it that makes its story totally stand out from the other. But as I’ve said, I really admire Nicole’s very original story.

In all, Just One Song is still an okay read. A heartbreaking story affected by the past and conquered by the present. I do appreciate the author's brilliant writing, it was easy to dive into the world created, but maybe it’s just too familiar for me.