readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

This is What Happy Looks Like - Jennifer E. Smith

Sunrises over the harbor. Ice cream on a hot day. The sound of the waves down the street. The way my dog curls up next to me on the couch. Evening strolls. Great movies. Thunderstorms. A good cheeseburger. Fridays. Saturdays. Wednesdays, even. Sticking your toes in the water. Pajama pants. Flip-flops. Swimming. Poetry. The absence of smiley faces in an e-mail.

What does happy looks like to you?

Another heartwarming and smile and good thought inducing story from Jennifer E. Smith! Ever since reading The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight I can't help but wait for other stories she would come up with. She has this certain creativity when it come to giving title to her stories - it was all attention seeking, intriguing and really interesting add up to those are the beautiful covers and of course the wonderful stories within those covers.

W hat does really happy looks like for you?
For me it comes from reading my favorite novels, to eating fries and ice cream, watching movies, playing in the rain, wearing pajamas up to wearing uncoordinated color of socks.

A cute coincidence tangled up the lives of two people far too different from each other. One is a teenage Hollywood star from Middle-of-Everything, California and the other a simple girl from Middle-of-Nowhere, Maine.

It was another well plotted story from the author. Every moment was handled in such a way that us readers would feel really contented even though the turn of events is not what we're expecting. The issues that gathered around the story such as Ellie's father issues, not being able to afford your dream school and even handling the paparazzi was well manipulated on the story.

It did have the possibility to get too cheesy and cliché, but that's what most YA make us feel right? And since I’m the sappy, cheesy and cliché type of reader those tendencies are no problem for me. The story line was drawing to point of unrealistic to realistic or maybe the other way around, but all I know is that I enjoy each ways.

The ending was honestly not the kind I'm used too but that is what I'm telling about - though things didn’t work out the way I was expecting it to be the conclusion felt like its really what’s supposed to happen. I would like to call the ending as an open ended one because it did leave me thinking a lot of possibilities that could happen not only for Ellie and Graham as well as for the other people inside this book.

This Is What Happy Looks Like gives us a story that would surely make us smile from beginning to end, makes us think of good thoughts and simply live life one step at a time. It falls from entertaining to poignant to funny. Another enjoying story from the author.