readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Life After Theft - Aprilynne Pike

"When people get stolen from, they don’t just lose their stuff. They lose a piece of their security, their ability to believe things are right in the world. But for a very few times when their belongings are returned It’s amazing. They get their confidence back and sometimes more than they had before."

What is Life After Theft is all about?
A new Guy at a new school.
The Ghost of the school's former Queen B.
And a cave of stolen stuffs.

On the first few chapters of reading I thought it greatly reminds me of The Ghost and The Goth Trilogy but the similarities ended with the ghost being stranded on Earth needing help. Life After Theft offers another unique and very much different story filled with secrets, action and of course fun.

The set of characters here all have a certain depth that is not really typical for they’re all still on their Junior High. I didn’t expect them to harbor such great depth within them.

Jeff, what could I say about you? Well, he's really an awesome protagonist of the story. He's smart, funny and always sees the good in people - dead or alive. Being inside his head was really fun.

Kimberlee suffered a severe case of Kleptomania when she's still alive. Her sassy and smart-assy attitude is what I admire most about her. I can't help but feel sorry for her throughout the course of the story. Though she acted like a bitch with Jeff - she tried her best to still finish the task at hand. I really do love her as much as I love Alona Dare from The Ghost and The Goth Trilogy.

Sera on the other hand, carry this certain guilt over an incident that happened a few years ago. She cannot let go of that guilt and that eats her up. But despite that certain event she tried her best to get along with her life make things better and also do better for her own self. But to be honest I really didn’t like her. I never had the chance to have this certain ’character bond with her maybe because I spend a great amount of time doubting her actions and intentions.

I'm not on the stage of keeping my fingers crossed with Jeff and Kimberlee’s romance but I did hope that somehow they would build a sweet relationship or stuff like that. As to Sera and Jeff's relationship, it honestly didn't kick off well for me but as the story unfolds I guess I found they they're okay together.

My little critique on the story was that the character build up really did confuse me! I always have this certain need to know and differentiate the good guys from the bad ones but from this story I doubt every character. I don’t know who tells the truth and who lies. One person would tell a thing but the other will contradict it. Bah! I'm literally confused because of that and I don't like it.

Another thing is Sera's background story. Throughout the story I saw how big deal her story was to the whole story itself but once it was revealed I don’t think it was that big thing - From Kimberlee's excuse for starting it to Sera's action after it. I find it abrupt and underplayed.

The ending was very fitting! Kimberlee found her redemption but I'll be lying if I told you I didn’t have that "Awwwwww" moment by the end of the story. An epilogue would’ve been a great addition to the story though. ;)

In all it was one funny, unputdonwable and good read!

Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for providing a copy for review.