readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Unbroken - Melody Grace Emerson Ray was her hurricane.
It's been four years now since that summer. Four years since she was left huddled on the ground, surrounded by the pieces of her broken heart.
Now, she came back storm-proof. Strong. Barred shutters over her heart. Swearing, nothing would eve destroy her like that summer again.
But the thing about hurricanes is that once it comes back and touches down; all you can do is pray.

---

To say I was excited to read this one a days after its release was an understatement because I'm really a sucker for summer romance or love stuff but after acquiring a copy and finding the time to read this I was a bit disappointed to say that I didn’t work as to what I was really expecting it to be - my enthusiasm as I'm reading this didn’t reach that 'wow' level I was hoping for.

The characters Emerson and Juliet - they have this intense, fierce, consuming, wicked and passionate kind of chemistry. After years of not seeing each other the chemistry and love that tingles between them is still apparent.

Juliet is such an insightful teller but I find her continuous reminders to herself to stay away from Emerson but still succumbing to those feeling a bit annoying. But her as a character was very smart and understanding and she’s definitely not a cheater and I'm very proud of her for that. Emerson is the guy that can’t be easily spelled out. He was sweet and funny and understanding at one moment and at one can be the greatest asshat on the planet.

The prologue of the story was really good. In fact I find it really great. The comparison of love between a hurricane and a steady breeze is so catchy and after reading it you would find how really fitting is that concept to Juliet and Emerson's story. As the story progress, my curiosity begins to beep as to what really happened between these two. I keep wondering what drive them devastatingly apart.

So what drives me off in reading this?
There is none of the summer romance I was expecting! :(
There are glimpses as to what really happened between Emerson and Juliet during that certain summer but that's it just glimpses. I honestly wanted to see more from that summer.

Another thing was when the revelation starts. As I've said I was wondering what drives them apart so when I get the answer to that question I was uhm baffled...

They broke apart because Jules has to come back on the city after her mother's death but then she clearly wanted to stay with Emerson thinking they both could live a happy life together but then Emerson pushes her off and she went away.

That reason was understandable enough for me but what really bothered me is the other reason - the reason behind the reason they broke up. In a very twisted kind of way he broke it off with her because he loved her? That reason was already used plenty of times and based on Emerson's character I don’t think he's that kind of guy to easily give up on such thing. Ek.

In all, I was not extremely impressed or enthusiastic about it but it was one fine read. Plus I heard that there might be a prequel novella for this one. I'll be surely looking forward to that one. Maybe the summer love I was expecting would be present there. Maybe reading this didn’t work out well with me so just see it for you guys.