readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Blackbird - Nicole Salmond There is a huge difference between what the people wanted you to be and what you wanted yourself to be. A story about Self-Discovery - that is what Blackbird is all about.

The blurb works its magic on me so to start reading this has been a very exciting thing for me but as I go on I discovered that some parts are not that thrilling as I expected it to be - but there are parts that certainly caught my interest. As I read, I also encountered things that I consider as pros and cons. Let’s start it off with the pros of the story for me:

This is a story about being yourself and finding you real self. Knowing the difference between what you really wanted to do and what other people wanted you to do. It's inspirational in every way you look because this is a problem I think a lot of people encounter.

Nate Williams had gone through a lot of rough things in life. He's your typical bad-boy-with-a-good-heart-deep-down plus he's cocky, arrogant, flirty but his respectful manner will surely get to you. He believes in taking chances and living life to the fullest. He didn’t give up - on his therapy, his family, his own self and his relationship with Claire. That's the thing I like most about him.

Claire was okay. She frustrates me with her uncertainty most of the time but I do like her determination and dedication in doing things designated to her. She treats what she does wholeheartedly.

The relationship between these two has a solid foundation. They didn’t kick off immediately but as they spend time with one another they become friends. They have fun and treat each other with utter respect and the love part didn’t happen immediately. It was not rushed and as I’ve said it has a foundation. One thing I know for sure is that their friendship is genuine.

Now for the part of the story that I didn’t like most or my con: the love triangle.

I’m not really a fan of love triangles so that is given but if that reason would be set aside the love triangle between Nate-Claire-Dave here is still very much unlikeable for my taste. Why? Because I always takes side with love triangles and the story involve cheating (you may not consider what happened between Claire and Nate as cheating but it does for me); A big No for the cheating part.
Clearly, Claire has to choose between these two and it would not be a very easy task because she would end up hurting one of them. As I’ve said I always take sides on love triangles and this time I’m with Nate. I really admire his patience and his thing with not giving up. Though on Dave’s part I understand his likeness for Claire to focus on her career, I know Dave has good intentions and is a good person but since he’s not the main here his attitude was made to be really hated by the readers.

Another things is that the transitions between the scenes on the story seems a bit off. It was no major problem for me so it was okay.

Live life to the fullest and with no regrets and Taking chances is always worth the risk when you’re doing it with someone you love - a very good message that this story encompasses; a simple yet inspirational read.