readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Shatter Me  - Tahereh Mafi Please tell me why didn’t I read this a long time ago? Why anyone didn’t beg me and convinced me enough to read this as soon as possible? I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that I'm supposedly late in knowing and reading an awesome book like this one! I keep seeing this book since I joined GR and everywhere I look, raves and awesome reviews are everywhere about this. So finally, my friend Eunice convinced me to start reading this before attending Tahereh Mafis' Event here in Manila and God help me I liked it!!

She has that Lethal Touch. She can incapacitate people.
But she's not crazy. She doesn’t want to harm people.
Yet they treat her differently.

Shatter Me offers a unique story about Juliette the girl with the Lethal Touch. Some people say that the story sounded like X-Men or something but I don’t really know since I don’t have any idea about X-Men so basically this story was unique enough for me. The building of the plot was kind of slow and I easily got this itch to know what the hype is all about and who’s' the girl and her magical power and other stuffs. But as I start to keep up with its pace and reached that reading zone there' no going out of it! The writing was very effective for me.

The characters are all engrossing. I like every one of them (Well, maybe except Warner)!

Juliette is the type of character that accepts who she really is. She know she could harm people so she is the one who makes her way into isolation but despite her abilities she doesn’t know how beautiful and smart and kind and wonderfully kind-hearted she is.

Adam is the over-swoony-worthy guy that is over-protective, brave yet sweet all at the same time. He came off acting like an ass but he redeemed himself and once I get to know his story I'm literally falling down.

Warner - what do I need to tell? He's manipulative, heartless and does nothing but torture Juliette and other people. I know he's the fucked up guy with a good heart BUT I just can't let him shatter my OTP of Juliette and Adam. I won't let that happen. though I know he would make his way between them.

As for the romance part - I'm TEAM ADAM! Honestly, I didn’t see Warner as a threat to the romance part of the story so I was a bit shocked and confused because I really didn’t expect him to be a part of this. Yes, he came flirting and doing those random acts of sweetness to Juliette but it really didn’t come to my mind that he could be a possible part of a love triangle. Plus, I don’t understand how Juliette could be so conflicted over her feelings about Adam and Warner.
I. Just. Don’t. Understand.

The series started all so good for me. Smooth sailing read through Juliette, Adam and Warner's world. Now I'm itching to know more about them and pretty much eager to know how Juliette came up with that special power that she got. I'm excited how the story would go through. Heaps of excitement for the next books to come! :)