readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

If You Stay - Courtney Cole I have read several works by Courtney Cole and I'm proud to say that I did enjoy it. Now to her latest novel, If You Stay she embarks on the New Adult genre (please correct me if I'm wrong) . I was surprised at the same time excited because I honestly enjoy reading books with plots such as this at the moment and I'm also happy to say the Courtney Cole did and amazing job in making Mila and Pax's story.

My initial reaction upon reading the very first page of this book is like THIS. I was literally surprised and it’s too obvious that I’m not expecting such scene to take part - not on history of reading Cole's novels did I encounter a scene like that. I find myself shocked and laughing out loud.

Gorgeous, flawed and sexy - Pax is on his way. He is the type of guy that got the looks, swag, money and the habit (drugs and sex). It is much given after my first encounter with him on this book that he's an asshole. He doesn’t care what anyone thinks about him or pretty much doesn’t care at all. I have this initial thinking to loathe him for his unkind ways on the first few parts but there is also a part of me that wanted to see what he got because I know that he got more and he definitely give me that. He's a broken guy despite the strong persona that he wants everyone to see. He has this void in his life that he's trying to cover up by doing things or by letting darkness cover him up.

Pax's story was tragic and dreadful. I try to put myself on to his place and I honestly would’ve done the same thing as he did. It's not easy because it would pretty much rattle your life. But when things got all cleared up with that certain void in his life I was surprised and heartbroken. Pax honestly made me feel a lot of things- hate and anger to name few. Reading on his POV opens me up to who he really is. I can’t imagine myself liking Pax and being able to understand him but I ended up liking him more than I thought I would.

Painting has been Mila's life since the death of her parents. She was left together with her sister after a tragic event that leads to their loss of their parents. As Pax described "She reeks of sunshine and wholesomeness"- she's not the type of girl that Pax like but there is something about her that can’t seem to let him getaway from her. What I most admire about her is her courage and strength to fight with and for Pax. Though he did and said things that have greatly hurt her she let him take his time and simply stand by him. I honestly want to wake the shit out of her most of the time but I end up feeling sad about it because I realize that the reason she stays with him is because she knows who the real Pax is, she knows that the person doing those bad stuffs is not the same Pax that she love. Fighting with him all throughout the way even tough it seems like it’s a losing battle is one strong point for me already.

They met in a very weird and inappropriate manner but their relationship ends up as genuine and as true as ever. They both have their dark sides and they both fight with it. I laugh, cried, screamed and feel the love of these two all through the way. I didn enjoy reading the story of this two scarred and broken people.

If You Stay is a story about loss, forgiveness, acceptance and love. Pax and Mila did their mark on me so please be sure to pick this one up.