readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Nantucket Blue - Leila Howland Everyone's life has love and death and drama and hope and fear…

A summer spent in Nantucket should be filled with fun strolls at the beaches, parties and snagging the attention of her long time crush - that's what Cricket was looking forward to. But she spends her summer there working in an inn folding and washing sheets with her best friend not talking to her acting up that their years of friendship didn’t exist and that she didn’t even know her.

Cricket is a very genuine character with a good heart and she’s a really catchy and great story teller. She’s friendly, generous, and adventurous and definitely goes for what she really wanted. I admire her loyalty to the friendship that she has with Jules even after all the turmoil and the bitchy-ness that happened between the two of them. Cricket is good yes, but I really didn’t like her extreme dependency and attachment to Jules and her family. I get it that when her own family falls down Jules and her family was there for her but seriously, though they welcome you as their own family there are still limitations - limitations that maybe Cricket forgot to see. Plus, she enables Jules to act bitchy and humiliate her to some people and it’s not really good. Another thing is that she thinks too much of what other people might think about her and what she do - I may like that characteristics at times but I prefer characters who don’t give a shit about what anyone else thinks. I mean if you’re doing the right thing why should you guard what you’re doing? It's your own life and you may do anything as you please just as long as it does not involve the ruination of other people.

But! There is a big but in there even after my rant about Cricket’s not so good characteristics; I admire her for growing up and developing. She came to Nantucket as a bit childish and just goes with what she wanted and goes with the flow but she came out of there matured and carrying a lot of lessons about life and love and friendship and I really do admire her for that. She's still the same Cricket but different in some areas.

Jules "the-so-called-friend" was a tough character. I started reading this having the impression she would be the one to stand by Cricket through stuffs knowing that Cricket’s state of life was on the edge of nowhere but no she didn’t because she succumb into her own misery and lost and started to act up badly. I was also expecting for things between her and Cricket to get better in the end but also it didn’t. I'm really trying my best to understand her and it seems that she also wanted to take Cricket back to be her friend but I just can’t solve her puzzle. Her sudden transformation causes her friendship with Cricket to seriously fall down and it was really a waste of one great friendship.

Liz, Gavin and George makes this summer more bearable for Cricket. These three have different personalities but they all get along with Cricket and even help her get occupied for most of her stay. They did help her learn things and open up her mind to other.

I was honestly surprised by the romance on the story. I really didn’t expect the love interest to be who it is so I was beyond surprised. I didn’t hate the love interest but I'm also not much invested to it. I’m not rooting for anyone for Cricket in the story so I think the love interest will do plus they’re cute. (It’s just that I really don’t go for younger guys.)

Despite some of my frustrations, Nantucket Blue is still worth the read. It was fluffy, summery engaging read that you would enjoy no matter what age group you belong in. Oh and because of this Nantucket is now listed on one of my most coveted places to visit in the near future. :)

Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley for providing an advance copy for review.