readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Hooked - Liz Fichera This is clearly not the first time I've read a Young Adult Sports story but it is my first time to encounter a story where Golf is the main sport being played - I mean most stories focused on football, baseball or hockey so I guess this is new for me.

Fred is Native American and she loved to play golf but when she joined the boy's golf team no one is happy. Now that's where the tension all comes in - the team leader was cut off and his part was handed to her and guy's best friend is being weird with her and things started to get more complicated and the game was just about to start.

The story was okay but nothing that exceptional for my taste but it was good. Some of the golf analogy and terminology kinda threw me off because honestly my knowledge about that sport was tiny as a bean. There are definitions or stuffs about golf provided at the end of the story and I guess it did helped a bit.

It took me a couple of chapters to really get in the zone with the story and my attention seems to retract sometimes because nothing seems to be happening – there is something that is happening but it seems to just skip right into me – do that even make sense? Anyhow, I did like the alternating POV of Luke and Fred because these two are like two sides of coin - different and neither is very flattering but can’t seem to get away from each other.

Fred is a great girl. She's a role model to her people at the reservation and has a wide array of dreams for her own. I love her dad for supporting her and encouraging her to follow and do what she wants.

Ryan is the typical rich-kid-good-looking-jock who is used in having everything he had. He's happy-go-lucky on the outside but deep down he's miserable and has some issues coming add up to this is the feeling he shouldn’t feel for his new teammate but then Golf is the only thing that seems to take his steam off and Fred always invaded his mind when he plays it. In the end though, I liked how he redeemed himself and fix things up.

Hooked was an okay read and I did enjoy the story but I'm just craving for more. It seems like a bit of magic and entertainment is missing on this one and didn’t quite satisfy a part of me.

Thanks to Netgalley and HarlequinTEEN for providing advanced copy for review.