readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Naturally, Charlie - S.L. Scott I'm really a sucker for friends-turn-into-lovers type of stories. And Gosh, I really love this book. I utterly love it. I don’t know were to start but it’s just so good and it was just... good. After reading it, I lay and ponder what's with this book and why do I liked it so much? It's the first book by S.L Scoot that I've read and I guess this won’t be my last.

The story is told from the alternating point of views of Charlotte Barrows and Charles Adams who both coincidentally share the same nicknames that is Charlie. Charlie [g] is depressed and really not in a good place now what with her ex-fiancé being dead. She's very fragile since his death and can' seem to go on with her life. Charlie [b] was a successful writer. He's famous and all but he tries to live a very simple life even though he belongs to one wealthy family. These two first met on the subway but then met again in a bar. And it seems that fate is really playing with them they once again met as each of them was on their own on two separate funerals. Charlie [g] was on her way to her ex-fiancé’s funeral while Charlie [b] was about to go to his beloved great-aunts funeral. They both agreed to go to each others funeral thinking that each of them needs support and comfort and from then on a beautiful friendship and romance started to bloom.

This story greatly reminds me of One Day by David Nicholls because of the great friendship these two characters have. They’re easily comfortable with one another and they have this certain friendship that is really hard to spell out to the people. The story also takes us on the journey of the relationship between these two. It comes with the ups and downs, the learning experience and the breaking up and reconciliation.

Charlie [g] was one smart and witty girl. She’s suffering a lot but it is really pleasing to see her give Charlie [b] a chance to be her friend or maybe more.

Charlie [b] was a romantic at heart. Though bruised and hurt by his family and a certain girl he loved before he never did lose his ability to give love to people who he thinks deserve it. The story he did throughout the story was pretty sweet and it really makes me cry with happiness. He’s born a romantic and loving at heart. I liked how after a certain storm come to his relationship with Charlie [g] he gave her time and space so that she could realize things on her own.

These two characters are just great! Their dialogues and banter and little snide remarks with one another makes me smile and laugh and even cry. I find their story a very refreshing and heartwarming one.

I really love it. Naturally, Charlie was well one natural read. It was pretty, sweet and endearing. Nothing seems to be forced and everything bloom because of time and the romance was pretty believable and very much fulfilling to read. It was once, touching story that would surely capture its reader’s hearts. :)

Thanks to NetGalley and The Writer's Coffee Shop for providing a copy for review.