readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Death and the Girl Next Door - Darynda Jones
"Because you move like fire rushing across a floor, like flames licking up a wall. Your energy is liquid and hot. Even from a distance you burn, you scorch anyone who gets too close. You are wine on my tongue and honey in my veins, and I cannot get enough of you. You intoxicate me, Lorelei McAlister. You will be my downfall."

Losing you parents are hard. Especially if they just seem to vanish on the face of the earth. That's what still bugs Lorelei's mind even if the incident happened 10 years ago. Thankfully, her grandparents and her two very best friends Brooklyn and Glitch are there and support her completely. Everything goes on pretty normal for Lorelei until Cameron starts stalking her.

Cameron may be good looking and thinking of him stalking a simple girl like her seems to be a great compliment but her friend finds it creepy since he's the school's major loner and they’re not even friends and don’t talk with each other since kindergarten. Then a new guy named Jared comes to their school and instantly showed interest on her and that seems to make Cameron creepier than usual.

There's a mystery behind all of this that Lorelei can't put a finger on. It may include her parents sudden lost, the stalking of Cameron and the arrival of Jared. But every mystery usually unfolds at the end but will Lorelei be ready for what’s ahead of her?
---

I don't usually read YA-Paranormal genre type of books but since the book offers a very promising blurb the mystery of it is enough to entice me to read it.

Lorelei has a pretty good heart and head and she’s pretty much good to people. She's grateful for everything’s even though she faced a great tragedy at a very young age. But on the story, she surely ruined a lot of needed answers for me, she just didn’t ask enough questions and demand answers for things that are happening. I just don’t understand how she kept herself from asking big questions towards Jared and Cameron after witnessing what these two guys have done with each other. Though a part of me understands that she might just be afraid to know things but c'mon. Readers want some answers Lorelei; you don’t spend all you’re time obsessing over Jared.

I really liked the supporting characters that this book offers. Glitch and Brooklyn are awesome. The friendship these two have with Lorelei was very heart warming. They're very supportive with each other and willing to thrown down anyone for each other.lol

Jared and Cameron are the two hot guys that keep the story stirring. Their continued banter and fights with one another was enough to keep me intrigued on what was really happening between them or why they are that against one another.

Love Triangle? Nah. It's not much to spoil but there's definitely no love triangle that is involved as much as my reading comprehension was concerned. At first, I was also thinking along the lines of love triangle what with 2 boys and a girl involved on the story. But thank goodness for the lack of love triangle.

The story comprises of different Christian Myths about Nephilim, Angels and other mythical stuffs which really surprises me. I'm not really fond of those stuffs but reading this gives me new knowledge about the said plot topic.

The only thing that set me off on reading this book was its pace. It was kinda off and slow. The earlier part of the book was spent setting up the world behind the story. The things are relevant but nothing seems to be happening. Honestly, on the first 90 pages, I was dreading reading it. I'm really pushing myself on reading it knowing that there's a good thing lying at the end of it which turned out to be right since after reading around the 115th page, things stars to get so interesting and once some of my questions are answered and underlying stories are revealed things started to come together and eventually reading the last half of the book wasn’t full of the dread I feel as the first half of it.

I’m not totally in love with this book but it was good. It’s a good thing I pushed myself on reading this one since it didn’t fail me at the end. There are still a lot of unanswered questions but I hope things get much more interesting (And I do know it’ll be much more interesting). So despite of the pace being off for me, I'll be surely reading its book two Death, Doom and Detention, which comes out March 5, 2013.

If you’re fond of reading stories with mystery, humor, suspense, mythical things and witty dialogue all packed into one, do check this one out. Lorelei and her friend’s would surely keep you confused at the same time entertained as the story goes on.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing a copy for review.