readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Jerk, California - Jonathan Friesen Sam can't sit still.
He can’t control the moving and jerking. He jumps and blurts.
He has Tourette's syndrome.

The only thing that keeps him feel still even for awhile was running But after graduating, things changes. His stepfather expects him to pay a large sum of money as rent on their own home and that’s when a weird neighbor hires Sam, but with one condition in hand and that is he would use Sam's real name, the one that’s given by his real father - Jack.

Things complicate Sam's life more by the recurring appearances of Naomi, the girl who makes Sam feel unsure. When a close friend of Sam sends him off to a journey, Naomi decided to jump in with him. They both take off not knowing what to expect but trusting that by the end of it they will both have answers to their own questions.

---

Actually, this book has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time now and I don’t know why I didn’t find the time to read it until now and bah It was an okay read.

The title honestly doesn’t make sense to me at first I mean, Jerk, California? What does that even mean? Reading the blurb of this book makes me realize that maybe it’s called that because of the jerking that the character does because of his syndrome but upon reading the story, I realize that Jerk, California was indeed a place in California. I’m really not aware that such place in California exists.

The characters presented on this book may seem a bit weird for you to read. They all have tendencies to annoy the peas out of you but once you’ve read and known their story, you would easily understand it.

Sam is a funny but very much lovable character. His struggle with what he has was very much heartfelt for me. His search for the truth regarding his life and his own past and his connection with other people is very real for me though the story is clearly a fiction one.

Naomi is weird. I like her for her randomness but despite her jolly good attitude deep inside she has her own struggling that’s happening. Seeing her depending and trusting Sam triggers me to give a great sigh of relief. They do need each other; they accept each other wholeheartedly despite their flaws and mistakes.

The flow of the story was kinda off to me. It was a bit slow and the dialogue tends to get boring and dull most of the times. But the story itself was pretty much good for me. The journey of Sam and Naomi in seeking the truth was very exciting. At the end, it really feels greats to see how freeing once they all know the truth behind things. The story was bittersweet however things fit perfectly with each other.

Jerk, California was one of the most inspiring books I've read for this year. It takes us into a journey of an average teenager with Tourette's syndrome. It makes us appreciate the little things we have in life and be thankful for it.