readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window - Kirsty Moseley This is one of those books that remind me why I'm such a hopeful romantic at heart. It literally melted and expands my heart all at the same time and I never thought this one would evoke such emotions from me, I mean; I'm totally in love with it! I really had no expectations here or whatsoever because I even don’t know this book existed until someone recommend it to me. I was gratefully surprised to like it and love it very much.

Amber and her brother Jake suffered from an abusive father for years. They both suffer from physical, emotional and even sexual abuse.
Then there's Liam, the boy next door. He saw Amber crying one night, taps on her window, comforts her and doesn’t let go until the morning; and so this becomes a daily routine for both Amber and Liam (but without anyone knowing) and this continues for years. But what would happen if they both suddenly see each other differently?

Though abusing was mentioned at the beginning the story mostly focuses on the aftermath on such how those things that have happened on the past affects all the characters. I know you're thinking this is one of those clichéd types of stories but it’s really different. It has more and the characters proved it very well.

Jake was the best-brother anyone would ever want. Though he acts jerky with Amber at times his protectiveness over her was uhm very brotherly and comes very sweet for me. He's willing to kill anyone and do anything just to protect Amber. Being an overly protective big brother, its fun seeing Jake when Amber and Liam confessed to him that they’re now together. That is really one of my most waited moment, though I'm really not surprised that he accepts it easily for I know he already see that certain bond between her sister and Liam

Amber was a cool character but very fragile. She cannot bear to be touched by anyone because of the trauma she suffers from the abuse. I really don’t how to describe her but she's a great character.

Then there's Liam. Oh Liam! I want you. He's the sweetest-ever male character I ever encounter. His sweetness with Amber is just enough to take my breathe away every time he say or do something for her. The way he always calm her down when nothing else works was a great picture on how they’re really both in tuned with each other.

With one kiss and their relationship evolves. The thing that I really liked most on Liam and Amber's relationship is that it happens slowly because I'm really not a fan of instant-love type of thing which I think is really superficial and unbelievable. Liam's love for Amber was very unconditional. He never pushes or pressures her; he simply waited patiently. On Amber's part, she also didn’t pressure to accept Liam’s love and let herself love him back immediately; she takes her time realizing her true and deepest feelings for him.

As I'm half way in reading the book, I started to think of something that would ruin this too-good story. I literally started to constantly think of horrible things that might happen here, but the good thing is that nothing that horrible did happen. The pace of the story was also fast. The writing style was neat, nice and very simple that I constantly have to remind myself that this was a fiction story. I become so engrossed with it that I really did think things like this could happen. (Because I'm a hopeful romantic okay? :))

My only reservation on this one is the presence of Amber and Jakes mother. She's absent most of the time on the story that I began to think if she even existed. Though she's mentioned from time to time, it just nags me that she seems to be nowhere when some emergency things happened; it’s just always Amber, Liam & Jake.

It was a short story of romance that happens slowly. It was full of heart warming moments at the same time it tackles serious subjects. I was completely lost on this world of Amber, Liam and Jake though at times things started to sound so clichéd, I still couldn’t put it down and still read it straight through the night because it literally had me around its little finger from the beginning till the end.

I'll finish this review on a very positive note. I'm really happy putting time on reading this book. It was very much worth it. Definitely recommended for everyone especially those who want to experience a dosage of swoon-worthy and sweet sweet moments. :")

PS. Why does Liam call Amber Angel?

“He turned to me, and do you know what he said to me? He said in a deadly serious tone, ‘Momma, am I dead?’ And I said ‘no honey, you’re not dead’, and he shook his head, looking all confused about something. Then he pointed to you dancing and said, ‘if I’m not dead, then why is there an Angel in our house.’”