readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Something like Normal - Trish Doller Finding books that's really not on my list of "to-read" of the week sometimes drives me insane, but you can't really help it if some books would really make you genuinely curious which is what happened to me when I stumbled with Something Like Normal.

It was a short and easy story that would totally blow you away. The blurb offers genuine curiosity for me since it’s about a soldier coming from war and the love and drama that accompanies all of it. I'm really a sucker for soldier stories ever since I've read Dear John (As I have said over and over), so easily grabbing this book was really not a surprise.

Travis was a remarkable character. He just got home on leave from Afghanistan after seeing his best friend died in front of him in an ambush. He came home and nothing seems to be normal. He returns home to a chaos not only with his family but with his self. Travis' emotional struggles really pull me. He's a soldier and that makes people think that he carries his self well and can surpass everything and anything that life and war would give him but deep inside he's really struggling on his own.

Harper was one great girl. She's really the girl for Travis. She became his escape in all the drama and struggling he's facing. She became the button that enables Travis to open up and discuss the trauma that he suffers during his stay on the military. I like her witty but outgoing attitude, I like her for being not clingy to Travis since that's what most girl did when they saw him came back and the fact that she punches him for something that he did way back when they were 13 makes me love her all the more. She has this awesome combination of being the wild-kick-ass-pretty feminine girl.

The overall feel of the story was kinda sad for me. There's this sense of sadness that surrounds me as I read it. I feel Travis's struggle and I can't help but love him despite of this. Of course the sense of sweetness is there. Travis and Harper's chemistry was very much potent. Their endless banter with each other was really nice to read. The plot of the story may sound familiar and so cliche for others but I really like it. Well except for how it ended.

Honestly, I was really really craving for more on this story. I wanted to see what would happened to Travis and Harper after Travis went back to the war zone and all, I wanted them to have the happily ever after they both deserve I guess. I wish it was much longer, it could be much longer and I would still try to finish it in one sitting. lol.

This was really a stunning story for me. It really is remarkable as to its characters and the plot itself. Everything is believable and the life depiction of the story was accurate as to what I see that is really happening. Something Like Normal really grab my heart from the beginning to the end.