readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Unlikely Allies - Tiffany King I finished reading this last night and I woke up today feeling weird because I can't seem to absorb what have happened on this one. This is my first Tiffany King novel and I feel excited about it and all because the blurb looks promising and the cover has this mysterious effect on it.

I was really drawn in by the characters. There are several characters that are very much easy to love.

Kimberly (and it was my first encounter of a character having a name of Kimberly. Just saying.) was very likeable. Though she was skeptical about meeting her father she still finds her way to make it to her father's camp all by herself; Meeting her father's people and doing the things that he does. It's nice seeing her make an effort and not holding any grudge to him. And as the story ends, her maturity and growth become significant.

Mason is really a maze for me. I can’t quite figure him out. His attitude can get out of hand at times and tends to tick me off. But his continuous banter with Kimberly was pretty fascinating. Their interaction with each other was funny at the same time very much heartfelt.

Then there's Amy. Since meeting her at the beginning of the story, I begin to really like her because it’s really hard not to like her. She's very eccentric and talkative but always a great friend who would always help you.

The concept of having a summer camp for kids was pretty touching for me. These children all came from different foster care systems and haven’t known what stability means. The camp Unlikely Allies, which were established by Kimberly's dad, Rick were a great help for those kids.

The only thing that is really not so great is the tragedy that happened. Of course, who would love tragedies right? It was believable okay, but seeing people suffer and sad and all was really disturbing for me, but seeing that this tragedy only make the people on the story stronger, I get over it eventually.

Unlikely Allies was an okay read. The tragedy isn’t that heavy and the plot was okay and the characters are great but there’s this just something that I can’t point out that I think was missing somewhere. I’ll check out other works of Tiffany King and see if it would still evoke same reaction from me as this one. Yay! :)