readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Saving You, Saving Me - Kailin Gow "Life is measured in moments. Moments are measured by chance, and chances are everything."

Samantha has been through enough complications with her life and now all she needed to do was to focus on her studies especially now that she's on her senior year and to be able to go to her dream college she must work up to her very best. Until the young, hottie and millionaire Collins McGregor gets in the picture along with Sam's new job, a mysterious caller and things just seems to start better and gets more complicated.

---

And why do I smell the scent of The Fifty Shades of Grey with this book? Though I'm not really a fan of that certain series and I haven’t really read it with such enthusiasm I guess I know enough of it to compare this -Saving You Saving Me- with that of course with the little exception that this one is a PG and for Young Adult version. I'm not pointing this out in a negative way; I just like to clarify such things for future readers. Back to it, Such example to the similarity is that Collin has unusual preferences with things as a result of a difficult childhood and Sam has this inner instinct/dialogue thing that keeps the story going and the age gap between the characters is also very noticeable. The thing I've pointed out may not be many and not that noticeable but if you've read The Fifty Shades of Grey, I'm sure you'll notice it right away.

Though I really have that tendency while reading this to compare Sam and Collins with Christian and Ana, I think the characters of this book greatly stands on their own. Sam seems to have all her ducks in a row, but as the story goes you could really see that she's not that perfect persona that people sees. She has serious family issues of her own and she's carrying a lot of guilt and hatred to herself with something that she has done on the past which strained her relationship with her parents especially her father. Collins, is one hard pill to swallow. He’s the strong and hard character on the outside but very mushy on the inside. He has his own problems and is facing his own ghosts from his past.

The relationship between this two is what really amazed me and makes me really smile. They both had a rough start and didn’t connect that easily, but through the story we could see how they helped each other. There is no damsel in distress on the story, in fact, they’re both the damsels in distress of this story, and they helped each other greatly in overcoming their personal issues.

Another thing I liked here is the outreach center where Sam works. The concept of the place was really nice, which is to help the struggling teens with their problems through the phone lines - no pressure on telling who you are - the people there are willing to help you and understand you no matter what your problem is and I think that one can be very much helpful and very upbringing to the struggling youth of today.

Though there are flaws and obvious comparisons for me with this book, I'm still anxiously waiting for its sequel. I'm curious to see what will happen to Sam and Collins and if they would continue where they left off and also I want to see if the similarities with the other series are still there. Heaps of things to look forward to on this series.