readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Second Chance Summer - Morgan Matson “A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.”

I definitely enjoyed reading Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour and because of that I’ve been looking forward to Morgan Matson’s next novel which is this Second Chance Summer and I could say the author still lived up to what I was really expecting. The story was far too different from Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour but one thing that's same is the obvious importance of a father figure on the story. It was obviously sad but it really caught my interest and I could say I would never regret reading this piece of work because wow I simply and absolutely loved it.

Taylor Edwards is a character with obvious flaws and she is aware of that. Being the middle child, attention was not given that much to her that’s why most of the time, whenever she feels alone and left out she has a tendency to run away from things thinking it’s the only way that the people around her would get to notice her. Though she is flawed like that, the thing about her that I liked is how she faces the things that came to her life. Going back to their summer house was never easy to her since she will be forced to face the things and people she ran away from 5 years ago and addition to that is that she has to face and deal with what is happening to her own familiar.

Henry and Lucy are great addition to the story. They both play a big role in Taylor’s life as her childhood friends whom she ran away from. Lucy is aloof and bitchy at first but you can’t really blame her for that and the important thing about it is that she forgave what has been done and accepted her friend for who she is now despite of her flaws. Henry is sweet and also very much understanding. He is good medicine for Taylor especially at this certain time of her life.

The over-all story was very poignant and it just touched my heart. As a daddy's-girl myself, I could feel Taylor 's grief over what is happening to her dad and thinking that the wall of their family could be gone any time soon it just breaks my heart. Taylor's dad was a really great dad. I really loved the way he reached out to his children despite the pain he is going through and the surprise he gave them at the end just makes me cry more.

The whole story greatly captures the dynamic of the Edwards family especially Taylor’s relationship with her dad. Taylor and her family is facing the hardest storm of their life and its really not that easy but despite of that, that summer would also be the holder of so many memories that they all could treasure.

It makes me cry, smile and enjoy life and people around me the most. A story about family ties, first love, lost friendship, making most of everything and second chances. I don’t know what to say more and I can't praise it enough and another novel from Morgan Matson would also be good!! Yay! :)

***
Oh and the mention of Amy Curry (from Amy and Roger's Epic Detour) holding hands with a cute boy wearing a Colorado College shirt makes me squeal like a little girl. Yay!!