readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

A Midsummer's Nightmare - Kody Keplinger Another one of the most anticipated release for 2012. EEEEEEEPPP! This is my first novel by Kody Keplinger and I really didn’t know what to expect. I mean, a lot of other people have read her first novels and I heard a lot of good things about them but here I am a new bird when it comes to her novels, but then, I was expecting this one to be nice since the title and its cover intrigued me. With the near title to Shakespeare's famous Midsummer's Night dream, I was hyped for the release of this.

Two people hooking up on Graduation Night thinking they would never see each other again until summer arrived...

Whitley is looking forward to a summer spent with her dad. After spending almost everyday of the year with her bitter, self-absorbed mother, only the summer spent with her father is her only escape. But everything changes when her dad pulls up to a new house and she's introduced to woman she never heard of but now her father's new fiance and her son surely surprise the hell out of Whitley.

Whitley is a love her-hate her kind of character for me. She can be a very difficult character to love, but considering the things that she's been though and the things she had to deal with, she isn’t that much rough or hard to love. The story mostly revolved around her and how she deals her parent's divorce, her father’s presence and the situation of having Nathan (her after graduation one night stand) as her new soon-to-be stepbrother.

On the other hand, Nathan is that one character that is very much easy to love. He seems very naive at things despite of his hotness and handsomeness. It’s pretty nice seeing him swooning over Whitley and GAAA! He's very much adorable! He is the type who doesn’t hold back his feelings and despite having moments of being to blunt and honest and some across to being hurtful, it always seems that what he really wanted was just for the best.

And so Whitley and Nathan are soon to be brother and sister and knowing this I never really know what to expect and it freaked me out at first because the last time I've read a story at least similar to this (brother and sister having a romance with each other) I didn’t quite handle it well and I literally freaked out. I know in here, Nathan and Whitley are not blood related, but still it kind of freaked me out at first and I really find it funny that they’re soon to be brother and sister. The romance between these two is very truthful and sweet and that's one of the happy things to this.

The flow and writing of the story was pretty good but one thing I quite find lacking is that there is always a lot of build-up and anticipation on every chapter or scenes, but not all of them are settled or wrapped up, I mean, I was almost always hanged on it and its just that the anticipation is buzzing me off. I have a huge imagination so I just feel that I wanted something more to happen.

It’s a nice read and though I'm not crazily in love with it, it’s just nice. There is just something that is left unanswered but despite of that one thing that really bugged my min, everything was wrapped up nicely and neatly. I was also expecting some mention of Shakespeare or anything similar to his original novel but sadly there's none. But then, as I've repeatedly said, it’s a nice read and yes, please check this one out.