readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Breaking Lauren - Jordan Deen "What are you going to buy her?"

The world I think. I'd buy her the entire freaking world, but I don’t think she'll accept it from me. Well, not yet at least ... she's still expecting it from someone else…

Danny spends most of his nights drinking, gambling and collecting debts for his uncle. His likeness and addiction to this certain bad boy image can't be erased even with his family begging him to. But, when fifteen-year-old Lauren McIntosh stumbles into one of his nightly escapades, the self-proclaimed anti-romantic can't concentrate on anything except Lauren and the fact that she's on the same path his sister was on, that very same path that leads him to the juvenile hall...

---

Okaaaaaay. I don't really know what's with me and books with concept like these that attracts me. After reading Pushing The Limits which reminds me of The Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles I got this: Breaking Lauren by Jordan Deen which reminds me of the first two novels I've mentioned. Their plots may seem to be more similar with each other what with the poor deprived / new in town rich girl meets the bad boy with family problem and stuff which looks good and pretty much hot and loving. but then some things may seem to be different and each one is still much awaited for its own ending like this one.

Danny and Lauren didn't quite appeal that much for me as characters. I know they both have strong personalities within them but they're just not the type of characters that I would remember for at least a long time. The attraction between them is so instant that I didn't really get what attracted them with each other.

Lauren is just fifteen and wants to reinvent herself while they transfer on a new town. She wants her own image and don’t live on her sister's shadow anymore. And on her first day of school she's taken by the most popular group and becomes one of them, which I find weird since I'm used to new girls belonging to the out group first and the odds that Lauren may belong to the "it" group instantly was very low.

I find Danny, on the other hand uhm scary. With all his angst and fist-fight looks, I just find him scary but still adorable. That's the thing with bad guys; they may seem to be all strong and mighty on the outside but soft as cotton on the inside. They all have that soft spot within it, it may be for their family or some girl.

The story might seem to be dull and weary as it starts but after a couple of hours and chapters, I manage to settle into a rhythm while reading it. The book encompasses many twists and turns which is a very good thing for me since all my predictability didn't work and that makes the story more exciting. And the ending, wow! I never did expect it to end like that; it ends one a wide open note. It really left me with my jaw hanging open and repeatedly saying " What? What? What?". I'm guessing I would wait for a lot more time for its sequel to come up, since this just came out last month.

A story about love-triangle & instant love that is full of angst. As I've said at first hand, this greatly reminds me of The Perfect Chemistry Series of Simon Elkeles and Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry, and if you like those stories you would probably like this one too.

Thanks to Black Rose Writing, Jordan Deen and Net Galley for providing a copy for review.