readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Why We Broke Up - Maira Kalman, Daniel Handler Pretty. Pretty. Pretty Book.

That's the first thing that popped to my mind upon seeing this book. And seeing its beautiful cover and colorful pages, I realized that sometimes art, when it was done well, it enhances the overall reading experience given by books and Why We Broke up is one good example of it.

Min is breaking up with Ed and it was already a long time coming. Though she too has been miserable about it, she wanted to explain. She wanted to let Ed know exactly why they are breaking up. She is also returning all the items she had that remind him to her; in a box that is about to thump on his front door-step.

Every good thing comes to an end. Even relationships. Coping up with this can be very hard but you just need to get over it at times and the way Min get over this certain ending of her relationship was well, unique. I really liked the thing that she did where she wrote letters explaining each one of the items inside the box; the reason why she kept them and why it inevitably led to their break-up.

A very lovely novel. I really loved the writing style of this novel and addition to this are the colorful and pretty illustrations inside it. However, the story is not that extraordinary but then it was told beautifully and the words used makes me smile and made my heart flutter. We know how this story would end and yet how the story of Ed and Min unfolds is still very much enchanting to see.

The only trouble I find on this one was I guess it wasn’t nearly dramatic enough. I mean, the story was told item by item, like a jigsaw puzzle given to us piece by piece making us create a big picture therefore creating a build-up to us readers on how the story would end which really makes me disappointed since I was really expecting to end it with a BANG! or something more. Just something more.

In all, it was a pretty book. If you aren't really looking for a heart-pacing, best-selling and breathtaking read, this would be a good one for you. Plus, it would really look pretty on your bookshelf and a very good book at all times.