readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry 'A shy smile tugged at her lips and at my heart. Fuck me and the rest of the world, I was in love.'

I can't really remember when I requested this on Netgalley but since I saw it was approved I read it straightaway because seeing its blurb on Goodreads makes me think that this is definitely my genre. And I did enjoy reading it. A lot of reviewers and readers say that it reminds them of Simone Elkeles Perfect Chemistry series and I definitely agree to them with that. A rich girl with family problem meets a bad boy with his own miserable life. The characters and story may seem to be a bit similar but Pushing the Limits has its own structure and there is definitely something in it that makes it different from the Perfect Chemistry series.

Echo Emerson was the popular girl that belonged with the popular crowd. Now, she was just the loner girl with freaky-icky scars on her arms that even she can’t remember how happened. Her Marine brother died in Afghanistan and her father is having a baby with her former baby-sitter and everything around her just seems to be out of place.

Noah Hutchins is the hot looking bad boy on a leather jacket. He is a foster kid who wants what's left of his family to be together again.

These two are brought together when their school therapist assigns Echo to be Noah's tutor. They get to know each other and developed a sudden relationship that looks definitely wrong on the eyes of people but for them it feels so right. With the issues they're both facing, the question if how far could they push the limits?

----

This is one long book! Not that I'm complaining but I think this is one of the longest galley I've read so far. It seems like the author cram the whole story of Echo and Noah on one book so that it could be a stand-alone book and not a series.

The story was told through the perspectives of Noah and Echo, in which we get their stories freshly from their point of view. These two characters have excellent voices on the story. Echo's way of thinking is just unexplainable. She is a girl who has gone through a lot and she has been constantly hurt by people surrounding her and I really find it incredible that she still stay strong after all of that. Yes, there are moments when she was greatly hit by her shocking discoveries and some flashbacks but we should give her a great credit for standing back up and regaining her own self. Noah's thought process is just like Echo's which makes them really compatible with one another; their line of thinking are almost the same all of the time. He's just not about all hotness and bad boy type; he's way more than that. Over the course of the story, these two has experienced many highs and lows, but at the end it was simply amazing how they both find their true self.

I have to say, I was impressed with this one. It was pretty hooking from beginning to end. I love all the characters and it storyline and even the hot romance between them. If you're a great fan of stories with spunky characters, with hot and sweet romance and of course that little tricky complication, then this one is really for you.

PS. The ending wrapped up around Echo and Noah, but there would be a sequel with Noah's foster sister Beth. And God! I would surely wait for it and see more of that bad-ass gorgeous little lady. :)

Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley for providing and advanced copy for review.