readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Waiting (Paula Wiseman Books) - Carol Lynch Williams When the best part of a family dies, everyone falls apart.

My first Carol Lynch Williams novel. I'm pretty much hyped to start reading this but also having second thoughts since it seems to be very sad and depressing and I'm really not in the mood for some sappy sad stories at that moment, but then I see that its not that long so I decided to start it.

The cover of the book seems to tell it all for me. As I started reading this, I'm still caught off-guard because I realize that I'm still not that prepared for the tragedy and depression that comes with the story. This one literally plays up my curiosity and my emotions overly.

Waiting is a story about a girl named London whose brother, Zach has died tragically at a very young age of 16. He was her best friend; it has always been the two of them as their family moved across the world as missionaries. When Zach died everything just seems to fall apart. Her mother doesn’t talk to her and London feels so alone and empty. People at her school know what happened and they treat her differently and whisper things. So many questions, yet no answers has still to come at London only the guilt that maybe, just maybe she's responsible for her own brother’s death.

London is not a happy character. Her life was defined by the "before" and "after" events of her life. She is lost, confused and alone. After losing her brother, it seems like he's not the only one she has lost. She also lost her family. Her voice on the story was so distinct that at times it would make you flinch and feel every hurt and fear she felt. I could really tell how different she was before her brother died. Things only start to lighten and begin to get better when the two new kids, Lili and Jesse arrived on their neighborhood and became friends with her.

Lili and Jesse are the complete opposite of London. They're carefree and fun and happy. I liked them for bringing new hope to London and bringing out the different side of her and helping her move on with her own life.

Taylor is Zach's best friend. His love and patience and concern with London was wow. Words aren’t enough to express the concern and love that I felt the he felt for London. He's just so wonderful.

I loved how the story was written in a poetic and verse form instead of the typical chapters. With this structure, it makes my reading faster yet it gives us a more direct contact in terms of emotions. Another thing I noticed is how the words seem to be well chosen on this one, words are well chosen and calculated; each conveys a deep emotion that is really suitable for the story. With this I really can't help but wonder why does her brother died, why London seems to blame herself from the loss and why does her family seems to be so broken apart after the incident? But then, everything leads up to a very very very satisfying conclusion that leaves tears on my eyes and a smile on my face.

Waiting leads me to a story full of sorrow, loneliness, love and loss. This is just amazing . The story, the characters and their relationship with one another, the environment of it and even the sadness that envelops the whole story. I'm at lost for words. It was phenomenal and very poignant. It really got me good. It makes me cry and wonder and cry and cry and smile. I ended up a lot more than I expected and more than I could hope. Very much moving and heartwarming and touching that would surely stick with you long after the last page has been turned.