readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

First Comes Love - Katie Kacvinsky ”Take life seriously. That you have to do. Don’t take yourself seriously, that’s the key. Let it all go. Don’t care for a second what people think of you. In fact, go out of your way to keep them guessing.”

Seriously, I don’t know where to start with a review for this book. It seems like I have a lot to say but can’t quite put it into words. Speechless. That’s me after reading it. I'm still at awe with it. It was amazing and beautiful and impressive and awesome and wonderful and astonishing and all other superlatives that can level up with those words.

----

Opposites do attract.

Gray is very closed off and tends to be a private type of person. Dylan is the opposite; she is ecstatic, always full of energy and always on the go. They may seem to be a very unlikely couple but their looks can be very deceiving. What started as a simple friendship turns into affection and caring until they finally fall in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they’re going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you’re sorry.

----

Amazed. I'm really amazed with this book. I wasn't really expecting for it to have this great impact on me yet, it still surprises me. I didn't also expect for this to left such impression to me, yet it left a great dent in my heart. For such a very short book, it is packed with tons of lessons and emotions. I really find it hard to quote something from here since everything written on this one is very much quotable and the whole book itself is one big quote for all of us.

The story was narrated on the alternating point of views of Dylan and Gray. I think it is very effective since we could really see how they see each other. And through this, it makes me believe more in their bond and relationship and chemistry. Everything seemed to be more structured and nothing seems to be at false or rushed.

Dylan and Gray are like 2 sides of a coin; Very much different from one another. Gray is very closed off to everything. He prefers to do things on his own. He is a very determined and stubborn kind of guy yet he is very sweet and loving. He is such a wonderful guy for Dylan. The depth of his love for her was just wow and it’s just clearly undeniable. Want a proof of the depth of

A proof of Gray's deep and undeniable love for Dylan. ;)“Sometimes it’s a rush, like skydiving, and other times it’s just a smooth ride, like floating in the middle of a calm lake. It’s like standing next to a hot fire that’s shooting sparks, or walking on the sun and then rolling in the snow. It’s like plate tectonics and hailstorms and lightning and earthquakes and hurricane-force winds all happening at once but then everything suddenly stops moving and your mind draws a blank and everything’s really peaceful. It’s like your mind explodes and all that’s left inside your body is heat."

Though he has a difficulty moving on with his past, I feel happy that he still gave Dylan a chance and let her in on his life. I also liked how he takes initiative to fix things regarding what happened to his past and all.

Meanwhile, Dylan, is the other way around, she is funny, artistic, carefree and very much filled with enthusiasm. It would be hard to clearly forget this character since she is really one of a kind. She outshines and stands out with her quirky attitude and her hate to being called as normal. As she has said:

"But I don’t want to fit in. That’s when no one notices you. You leave a longer impression when you’re brave enough to stand out."

At first, Dylan just forced Gray to spend time with her and go along with her random ideas. As the days pass by, Gray realizes that hanging out with Dylan is what he really needed. He needed her to push his through his boundaries, push the walls he has built around him and see his life again.

This book is mainly about the relationships and how two different people, who seem to belong into two different types of worlds, meet and fall in love and how their story unfolds. The plot of the story is very much simple yet very much endearing. Of course, it is not only filled with happy moments because every relationship has its own dark sides. It shows how people who are together in a relationship stays in love despite all the trials and maze that would come to their love. Another thing is that each chapter was titled as to the every 'Firsts' of their relationship, therefore aiming the title 'The Book of Firsts from me.

This book was amazing. I think I already used all the other positive things I could to describe this. It was very short and simple yet very heartfelt and intricate. It was very memorable and I just love everything about it. There might be some flaws with it but I didn’t really see it, I guess I was blinded by the beauty of the way it was written and its characters. The way it was ended really makes me think of things. It was a perfect way to end it yet a perfect start for both of them. It was a fun ride with Dylan and Gray. A ride that makes me laugh, cry and fall in love all over again.

One of the best YA read for 2012. SUPER RECOMMENDED! :)