readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Lies Beneath - Anne Greenwood Brown I took a risk and grabbed her hand. The familiar tingling sensation tickled up my arm to my heart, and the fluorescent pink glow pulsed out of her shoulders, spreading over her body like a perfect outline. I dropped her hand, and the glow dimmed to a rust-colored shadow. Interesting. She was happier when I held her hand.

----

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. A human man has killed their mother and the sisters are after the blood of the man's son. The man they are trying to kill was Jason Hancock who was older now and has a daughter named Lily. Things seem to be easy to handle for Calder since he has a lot of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm. But this time, he seems to screw up everything-he falls for Lily Hancock.

I have an ARC copy of this book for awhile now and decided to read it a couple of weeks ago but then I quit and put this on hold. And now, I decided to continue it again! As a matter of fact, I really have a good start with this book for I easily slipped into their world, but as I get to the middle of it, it starts to slow down and drag me a little bit so that's when I decided to put it on hold. But then I never could have stayed away from it for so long and as the mystery begins to unfold it reeled me back to the story and already gripped me up to the very end.

I always have the impression that mermaids are good mythical creatures and simply lived happily under the sea. There's just something magical and very much captivating about them. In this book, it presents killer mermaids and a merman. I think it’s pretty cool! Lies Beneath is my first mermaid book and I have great expectations to this and at least it didn’t disappoint me.

I really love the character's name in here!! They’re all very unique. I even wonder how the author comes up with those unique and interesting names (i.e Calder, Tallulah, & Pavati. But as much as I love the names of those mermaids/merman (Tallulah, Pavati, & Marisa), their characters itself creeps me to the core. These mermaids/merman are very realistic, dangerous and ruthless.

Calder is a really gorgeous central character. He was the type of guy simply follows his instinct rather than confirming to what everyone else thinks.

Lily is the only human teenage character here. She was a very easy character and much smarter than anyone anticipated. I like her for she also finds joy in reading stuffs. She was witty and I admire her character of being not afraid of anything - even monsters of the sea. Though Lily is not really good for Calder and vice versa, I still enjoyed every time they were together. His frustration of being close to Lily was entertaining to see and it really inspires me to giggle.

The plot of the story was unique in a way it involves mythical creatures but it really tends to be predictable since at the beginning they already state what they're planning to do and by the end they just did it. But since I was really interested to see how the events will unfold I hold to it up to the very last page.

Reading in a guy's POV is really interesting. It is not always that a guy is the central POV in a story so it’s just really nice and Calder's thoughts are very insightful. I'm also interested in Lily's POV here, I just can’t help but wonder how does she feel and think about everything that has happened since this book does not really say much about Lily’s feelings.

In all, although this is not a perfect book and has its own share of flaws, it was very much interesting and exciting to read. I really appreciate the uniqueness of this book among others. This is one of those books that I would surely want to get a printed copy. I'll be keeping an eye for the second book. ;)

Thanks to Random House/Delacorte Publishing and Net Galley for providing and advanced copy for review