readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

A Vintage Affair - Isabel Wolff This is what I love about vintage clothes. I love their beautiful fabric and their fine finish. I love knowing that so much skill and artistry have gone into their making."

---

Spare me the beauty of its cover. Yes I've been behold by its beauty and I was really expecting something more from this one and I get not even half of my expectations to it and I'm pretty much not happy about it because I feel so unappreciative when I really don’t like something. And in my own defense, its not that I don’t appreciate this literary piece, I just find it hard to go with and read it and really get into it.

Phoebe and Mrs. Therese Bell are the two protagonists in the story. They are two women from two different times and life circumstances but they quickly learn that their souls are joined by the very same losses in their lives but for different reasons.

As much as I loved its cover, I struggle while reading this. I find it very slow. I was not even halfway through it and the mystery behind Mrs. Bell was already revealed and I get to think: “What is there to happen more now that the secret of hers was revealed?” Though a lot of other things were revealed halfway though it, I still wasn't hooked at it as much as possible, maybe I'm just more in tuned at the moment to Young Adult stories and I can't appreciate this contemporary one that would be more serious life stuff.

But despite the struggling I encountered while reading this, I can't help but feel amazed at Phoebe’s Vintage shop for I, myself is fond of vintage things, though I don’t really collect them. I feel exhilarated with every description of the dresses and bags and shoes that she sees and sells. My most favorite of her collection are those Cupcake Dresses,as she likes to call them, which I imagine to look something like THIS!

The thing that really keeps me going with this book are those vintage dresses. Seriously, I'm just like bored at it at times and like spaced out while reading and not really processing what I’m reading it.

But despite of my struggle in reading this, I still realized and learn things with it. I realized that each one of us has its own journey and no matter how hard it was always see that that struggle along the way made the journey more worthwhile. Another thing is that, letting go is necessary and we should live in this moment. Never take what you have for granted, enjoy everything up to its very last second so that when the time comes you, yourself will have the courage to let it go.

In all, it was a good and poignant read. But I guess it’s not just really the type of book for me though I really appreciate those Vintage dresses and stuffs. ;)