readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Rules of the Game - Sandy James Finding a damned perfect man while trolling bars in New York can be a tough job and next to never. But you never really know what's in store for you, like Maddie, she gets lucky to find one...

Kathryn West. All confident, popular, glamorous and a popular bestselling author. Too bad she doesn't really exist but only a pseudonym used by the ever insecure and timid Maddie Sawyer. When she agrees to attend her Highschool reunion, she is determined to face her old peers and let them see how well she's doing and by showing there with a man right out of one of her novels. She decided to find a man that would suit the job and willing to pay him just to escort her to the party.

She finds the perfect man, Scott, playing pool on a biker club. He actually listened and consider her proposal but Scott has some rules of his own: he won't agree to her unless she agrees to his own rule which is to pose as his girlfriend to his family and friends.

As the reunion day neared, Maddie tries to maintain her carefree attitude knowing some old ghosts will soon face here when she came back. She’s torn between her growing attraction to Scott and the nagging feeling that he’s hiding something important.

----

I'm not really a fan of Romance books, but the blurb of this one makes me think its pretty much light and neared the YA category and Net galley luckily approved my request for this so yeah I decided to read it. As I have said, at first, the blurb makes me think it's a lighthearted story with a romance and comedy feel to it, and I guess I got it wrong, There is really more to it than meets the eye. The story is full of issues and all of them are explored. There are grief, personal trauma and even prejudice.

The pages leading up to the reunion proper is what makes me grip to this one even more. That path going to the reunion is enjoyable to read and would really makes you think of things that would happen. And when the reunion comes, all hell literally breaks loose. Maddie and the ghosts from her past just came tumbling back to her. (I would held back those little details about the reunion so the excitement would still be there for you all and it would ruin the story if I would tell you guys!)

Maddie and Scott are great characters. They both keep the story rolling. Maddie, is one of those woman who experienced something during her teens and that thing stunted her emotional growth. Though I'm getting really impatient with her doubts along the story because she started out insecure and just get worse, I finally get to see things from her point of view. And at the end, she finally realizes the things that she should do but of course not before she almost lose one of the best thing that happened to her. Then there is Scott, and he is one amazing man. He really proves himself to be a strong and caring man and not really afraid to express his feelings. He was a rock to Maddie. His support for her never once falters and I really loved the fact that he could stay calm about everything that is happening around them. When all hell breaks loose, he was there to take charge and makes the miserable situation a little bit bearable. He was really a great male lead and proves himself to be a great man.

They made up a great couple. But then they both have secrets that they're trying to hide for the benefit of each other. The reunion opens a lot of doors for those secrets and there they show both their true colors.

The story of The Rules Of The Game was very much intriguing to read.
I do enjoyed it. :)

Thanks to Carina Press and Net Galley for providing an advanced copy for review.