readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Falling in Love with English Boys - Melissa Jensen I want to stick my head out the window and, at the top of my lungs, demand of all of London: I feel like Cinderella; so where the hell is my prince?

----

Cat Vernon is stuck in London for the Summer. Not alone, but with her mother who is doing a research about a woman who lived from the early 19th century and has been dead for almost 200 years. Her mother may research all she wants but Cat would rather write on her blog for her friends back home about her observations in London and Rants about boredom and other stuffs. Until she meet Will Percival. A handsome British boy who is a descendant of the woman her mother is studying. With his presence on Cat's summer life, she all of a sudden finds herself more interested in London, the history of the Percival family, making new friends and maybe and possibly falling in love with an English Boy.

It's my first encounter on a story which takes place in two different periods but I guess I liked this concept. There are two parallel stories in the form of Cat which is taking place on our present time through her blog and of Katherine which takes place in the early 19th century which is through her diary. I find it very interesting because though the storyline of Cat and Katherine were at least 200 years apart, they still connect. I liked seeing Cat get so wrapped up in reading Katherine's diary which I for one also find very interesting.

Cat is a very interesting yet weird character. I just find it hard to get through her. She tends to be sullen, rude, cranky and even selfish at times. I never really liked her character but I also never hate it.
Katherine is one fine woman of the old age. She's a very young lady which is still on her way in the world. I liked the way she pours her heart though her diary, I find her entries very much interesting.
These two are very insightful characters. There area lot of similarities between them like both being new in London making them feel kinda lost in place, pining for guys and even talking about fashion. Around the middle of reading it, I kinda think that Cat reflect the modern Katherine.

Will is the present day prince charming for Cat. He was charmingly handsome. Though he might have a little problem on the communication department I still liked him. Just one thing, the build up between Cat and Will's relationship is really slow, but still very likeable but upon reaching the last chapters I come to think on how would they continue what they have if Cat is going back to the States?! But hey, continue up to the end and it would definitely make you smile. Yay! After her summer at London, Cat will be senior and should be preparing for her College and Tada! She chose to study at St.Andrew in London so that she and Will could be together. That ending just literally makes me giggle. :">

It was my second Melissa Jensen read after The Fine Art of Truth or Dare and I'm amazed on how this author is pretty much fascinated with history though it tends to get boring.

In all, Falling In love with English Boys was a nice read and I do enjoyed it. Its really nice reading in both the perspective of a modern and historical teen. It was pretty insightful and yes I think its an okay one.