readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

The Sweetest Thing - Christina Mandelski But that's what faith is, right? Trusting that no matter how things look, everthing's going to work out according to plan.

Sheridan Wells is still devastated from being abandoned by her mother a couple of years ago so, she busies herself in cake decorating at her grandmother's bakery. Her father - a workaholic one - is more interested in his restaurant and his possible TV deal than his own child and her lovelife was nonexistant and the days leading up to her sweet sixteenth birthday are anything but sweet.

Though Sheridan is still holding to her mother's promise of returning to her and being convinced that connecting with her again will fix her life, she still can't ignore that there are some serious obstacles to be pushed aside on her way to achieve the sweet little life she wanted.

< b>---

Delicioso! What a really sweet book. As the kind of girl who really loves sweet stuffs, It really makes me crave for cakes and other dessets!

Sheridan's character was really not likeable for me and I honestly didn't really didn't like her as a character. She acts very immature and selfish that I got annoyed with her most of the time. The way she treats her father at some time in the middle of the story makes me really go berserk with her. Although she acts like that most of the time, as the story progress, you would clearly understand why she acted like that. Her passion in cake decorating was immensely great. When she is in the kitchen decorating cakes, this is the time Sheridan feels the closest to her absent mother, this is really heartbreaking for me, but this is the reason why she is really motivated and concentrated on doing this.

Donovan Wells, her father was a very realistic character. He is having a hard time on how to easily spend time with her growing daughter and at times that Sheridan is being snappy at him, I can't help but feel sad about it. I feel his love for her daughter and the need to protect her from any harm even from her own mother.

The other characters such as Nanny (Sheridan's grandmother), Mr. Roz (Nanny's assistant), and her bestfriends Jack and Lori also played a great role on this story for they were all very interesting,

The romantic part of the story was not really the highlight of it but it was also very predictable but despite of that I still find it very very sweet. :">

One thing that got me really bothered with this is the central conflict of the story which is finding Sheridan's mother. Not to spoil much, but this conflict doesn't really get the highlight it needed. The story is just driven by Sheridan's attempt to contact her and the frequent looking she does on the birthday cards her mother has sent her over the years. But as the story ends, nothing relly happened between Sheridan and her mother just 1 phonecall!! and that really cause a great disappointment not only to Sheridan but also to her father.

In all, aside of its not really nice conflict and annoying central character it was still a delighful read. It opens our that real friends are always there and that a family would do anything for one another.

Thanks to Egmont USA and NetGalley for providing an advance copy for review.