readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Things I Know About Love - Kate Le Vann Strangers are called strangers because they are strange. Duh!

After surviving leukemia, Livia Stowe decided to relive the times she has missed because of her sickness. She's been healthy now for almost a year and she is now ready to get back to her normal energetic self again. So when her brother, who is attending Princeton, asks her to visit him there for a few weeks, she immediately grabs the opportunity though convincing her mother to allow her was pretty hard. After being gone for so long, she misses him and chooses to stay with him than spend her time cramming at school with higher education blarbs of her schoolmates.

On her flight down to America, she decides to start a journal/blog of sorts which is set privately only to her. Her aim at this moment is to know what love really is. It isn't something that comes too easy to her, but she clearly wants to find it some day and somewhere down her insticts tells her that going on a holiday with her brother might be the key.

When her brother shows her around Princeton, she ends up meeting - again - Adam. An old friend of her brother which is also a Brit.

Swept up in the promise of romance and the magical New York City that Adam shows her, Livia is smitten, but with all she knows about love, is Livia really ready to risk her heart again?

Expectation is the root of all hearthache. This definitely what happens to me upon stumbling with this book. I was expecting something light to read with regard to its title but I end up crying to it and it really breaks my heart.

One thing that makes this book a unique one is the initial set-up which is a private blog that serves as a diary. It was really really clever. The things Livia writes on her blog was pretty fascinating and very real. Her blogs are occassionally interrupted by ones done by Adam. It really makes me giggle that Adam takes Livia's advice to start his own journal, even though its just 'for girls'. I'm really craving for more of Adam's entries, though I know his character and the shortness of this book wouldn't have made them necessary.

Livia Stowe's character was one cool breathe of fresh air for me. Her character was very cool, energetic and vibrant despite the sufferings she's been through. I see her as a very pretty girl who has a very positive outlook in her life. Adam, on the other hand was a great hero for Livia on the story. He's just simply being himself and he's really not a jerk which makes him more adorable.

The road of romance between these two was freakingly adorable. From their trip to New York to simple walking at night together, the love between them was very honest and realistic. Their relationship was pretty smooth and it really felt very good to watch it unfolds and would definitely makes you wish you would also feel and experience something like that.

The ending of this book still leave me at awe. I am not going into details about what happened but it was so touching it really really makes me cry. Though I really have a tendency to cry at simple emotional scenarios, this one is much different. It's just so touching and emotional and touching. ugh! Just reminiscing the last few pages makes me want to cry all over it again/. I can still remember clutching on those last pages wishing that the story could stay longer with me. Okay, I know i'm really getting so emotionala bout this.

One downside to this for me is how short this story was for I would have loved to read more. It felt like the author rush in writing its plot when what it really needed was an in-depth analysis of the story. Another is the lack of major conflict in it. There is nothing really big that is waiting to happen in here - well, aside from Livia's quest for love - that's why the event towards the end will surely surprise you. I think it would also make it better if at the end someone would get to read Livia's blog, it's such a good one and the one who would get to read it would surely learn a lot of things.

In those short 150+ pages, I was besotted with this book. It was adorable and very light-hearted. It was so happy yet emotionally draining. It allows us to view a different kind of love. Yay! :)

PS. I think I'll be re-reading this someday, and I'll surely remember everything there is to know about love. :)