readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Starter for Ten - David Nicholls Ah. David Nicholls. The Daddy of the book One Day . Personally, i have high expectations for this book since i really loved One Day. But, those expectations are not really met. I'm kinda not satisfied with this. Guess i'm expecting really something huge about it. But it turns out there is nothing huge is gonna happen. I'm not saying its not a good read but, its just different.

Starter For Ten is set on the year way way way before i was born. But i guess not much has changed since then. The story is about the misadventures of student Brian Jackson in his first year at the university. He is an intelligent guy and has been a fan of a television Quiz ShowUniversity Challenge and upon stepping on the university he sees to it that he would join try to join the team. Initially he didn't qualify but is selected after a member is forced to drop out because of ill health. But then, he falls for his team mate Alice Harbinson. And also enters the Jewish law student Rebecca Epstein whom Brian seems to be more compatible with. Yes. They make it to the University Challenge itself. But i'm saying this to you. Watch out for the end. You would definitely laugh at it. :)

The story focuses on the trials a freshman university student faces on his first year. The weird challenges, the girls, relationships, friendships, the lifestyle most students are determined to lead, the promise of reinvention and a new beginning and it captures perfectly the student experience and the difficulty of the transition from youth to adulthood. What i like about it is that it was very much its own story. I could say its pretty much a one of a kind story. Its a very witty and insightful book but there is definitely something that is lacking. I could say this book is in between better and good.