readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

One Day - David Nicholls “In eight years not a day has gone by when she hasn’t thought of him. She misses him and she wants him back. I want my best friend back, she thinks, because without him nothing is good and nothing is right.”

BESTFRIENDS. Eversince their graduation from Edinburgh University, this is what Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew has become aside from hooking up from time to time.. After that day, they end up talking about their life and the future. This book contains the life of these two in the span of 20 years which is narrated every 15th day of July which is also the day these two have been together. (The 15th Day of July is known as the St. Swithin's day which is celebrated in England, it is a belief that the weather on this day would depict the weather for the next 40 days! How Awesome!)

Each chapter lets us take a glimpse on what is happening between their seperate lives or whenever they are together. The depth and foundation of Emma and Dexter's friendship makes it different from the other friends-fall-with-one-another type of story. Yes, they have their ups and downs but that's part of life and friendship. They are shaped by these ups and downs and thats what makes them stronger and deeper. I believe that what they have is real and thats what makes me love them.

The story of Emma and Dexter is not unique but what they have or feel with each other is the one that is unique and rare because not every person is lucky enough to find a kind of friendship like this that ends up just like they are. The story makes me appreciate life more and that we should seize the every day of our life. CARPE DIEM! . It also tells us that in life, nothing stays the same, its constantly changing. Things change. People change. But we should not let these changes affect who we really are and to the people around us.

I hate Goodbyes. I really loathe them especially the one when you don't even get to say it. It just breaks my heart. This is such a sad story that i already started crying over the half of it and cry buckets more at the end of it. It is also a good read for anyone who wanted someone they couldnt have. RIGHT HAND RAISED! HAHA.

In the end, i realize i would not want to end this story differently. If it was ended differently then it would not have this effect on me. Though i'm a sucker for happy ending, i like the way this books ends. Though sad and very heartbreaking. It just suits it. Someday, i wanted to have a friendship like what Emma and Dexter have who wouldn't want that?. They are just simply who they are when they are together. Simple. Happy. No More No Less. BEST FRIENDS.

“This is where it all begins. Everything starts here, today.”