readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen YEY! I finally finished reading this book the other day. I feel contented and happy after reading it because it is the only book by Sarah Addison Allen that i left unread, and now i'm done with it i can;t contain my happiness. :)

This is a story about a socially awkward, quiet girl who only gets out of the house to escort her mother everywhere. Josie's only interaction with the man she loves is when he comes to deliver the mail everyday. She keeps her emotions to herself, using her closet as a hiding place for her stash of sweets and romance novels, dreaming of one day leaving the town where she has spent all her life, waiting on her mother. One day, she finds a girl hiding in her closet, needing a place to stay. She becomes Josie's best friend, and encourages her to break out of her sheltered life. This starts a series of events that will lead Josie to truly find herself and start living life like she's always wanted.
SOURCE

Same as her other stories, Addison never fails to give me a cute, light, easy read and a magical story. Though the story was kinda predictable, i cannot erase the fact that it was still beautifully written. What i like about this is that it seems to be realistic and unrealistic at the same time. (If that makes any sense. :p) Anyway, what i mean is that it seems to be realistic because the scenarios and the issues faced by each characters are very relatable in real-life situations. Just like how Josey suffers and giving up what she wanted just to make it up to her mother. Several people are also facing that kind of epiphany during these times. And on the other side, what makes this story an unrealistic or magical is because of the certain magic that binds all the characters together and face the struggles and issues by helping each other. It makes the story more fascinating without being boring.

In all, it was a good read, very light and refreshing. :)

Sarah Addison Allen never fails her readers for the magical contents of her one story is still present on the others. Though her stories are overly predictable and simply written, i think its because of those reasons that i loved her books. Though simply written, it makes you feel light and makes you want to finish the whole book though its overly predictable as I've said. Her writing prowess contain a certain magic that makes the readers read more of her books!