readsandthoughts

Reads and Thoughts

Sometimes It Happens - Lauren Barnholdt 'Sometimes people do things that are complicated. For complicated reasons'.

Just when she thought things couldn't get any worse..

On the last day of her junior year, Hannah finds out that her boyfriend, Sebastian was cheating on her and she was dumped. Following that is the news that her best friend, Ava is leaving for summer, therefore leaving her all alone. She thinks of spending her time sitting in her room eating junk foods and ice cream. Then, comes Ava's boyfriend Noah who helps Hannah get a job at a diner. Thanks to him she began to live her own little life until things starts to get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction.

Hannah is about to start her senior year now, and she's never been so scared.Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed.

***

Sometimes It Happens is one those books that are told in a very interesting way. The chapters alternates between the happenings of the summer and the first day of their senior year. At first, I was really skeptical on how this book was told, but as it goes, I begin to appreciate it and discovered that this kind of approach to a story builds up a great intensity. Also, we could see how things can drastically change over a short span of time. As we witness the drama of Hannah's first day of senior year we could go back and see the root of all the worry of tension on the present time.

DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA & MORE DRAMA
What a very stressful way for these characters to start their Senior year especially to Hannah..

This book has a one-hell of a kind set of characters, They are all very realistic and multidimensional. They all have their flaws which they try to cope up and correct as the story goes.

Hannah is a very hilarious character. She is a typical teenager who acted exactly how teens do when they suffer a break-up. Her growth over the summer period is really potent and did a lot of great things for her. She seems very shy and timid but I really liked the way she stands up for herself and took control of her life even though she would betray her very best friend.Noah, on the other hand, is the one who "watched over" Hannah for the summer as she was facing her break-up. He was the "good guy" material in this story.

Ava, Hannah's best friend is really one of those characters that I loathe. In my own humble opinion, she is not really a great friend for Hannah! She tends to be bossy and snooty to her. Then here come, Lacey, which is one quirky character. She met Hannah as she starts her job at the Diner, she was exactly what Hannah needed on this story. She has a unique and crazy attitude but was loyal and a very good friend to Hannah.

Hannah and Noah's relationship can be easily sensed on this story and I for one easily smelled it halfway through it. I could easily see them enjoying each other company. These two didn't just decide to mess up with each other and cheat with Ava. Their feelings just grow and develop over the days they were together. It just seems very believable without all the sugarcoating thing. They have a really meaningful relationship even though it happens at the wrong time.

While this book is not the most original plot line I have read, it really has a great premise. Even though its basically a Love story, it also has a lot to say about friendship - who are our real friends. And as the title implies, Sometimes It happens, but despite of that we should also remember that Things do happen for a reason either this thing may be good or bad, the important thing on this is how we would handle it and learn from it at the same time.

Sometimes It Happens was a fast ready full of witty character. It was sweet, romantic & really full of real teenage emotions.